Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good!

Actally, believe it or not, I was beginning to think something along those lines.

In Fred Holder's "Guide to work holding on the Lathe" there's a thing called a Doughnut Chuck, used for finishing the bottom of bowls.
This basically consists of two plexiglass discs, one of which is fixed to the jaws, the other one is actally in the form of an annular ring. The finshed bowl is inserted between the two discs and clamped in place with long machine screws. This seats the outer ring on the curvature of the bowl leaving the spigot (tenon?) exposed so it can be turned off. The problem is, this depends on both sides of the clamped object being regular ( the rim naturally being dead flat and easy to seat on the inner disc) and I've been racking my brains to think how it could be modified so that the irregular side could be accurately seated.

It never even ocurred to me to use individual clamps.

Isn't it extraordinary how so often the cleverest ideas seem so simple once someone shows you how it's done? :roll: :roll:

Chas that has taken an already interesting form to a new level. :D :D :D

Pity that most non-turners wouldn't appreciate the techniques to achieve such a standard of workmanship.

Please keep the posts coming, your show and tell sections are very educational.

Regards,

Mike C

Thanks for the pictorial,Chas - I too have been sat scratching my head a little as to how you did it ; great idea :D

Andrew

______
________Bit of home cured Elm._______________Click on image for larger view.
______
________
______________155 X 125mm

Thanks Chris. and all the previous comments guys and gals, hope to have a few more bits of an 'unusual' (for me anyway) nature soon, quite a few bits with sound bark lying around and have had some requests along the lines of "can you do some with knobbly bits" so I guess it will save having to remove quite so much material.

Chas,

That`s a lovely piece of Elm.
With natural edge forms your leaning against an open door with me, they are my favorite types of turned work. Excellent workmanship & finish.

This really is an informative & inspiring thread.

I really like that natural edge bowl Chas!!!!!!!

The shape and proportions are just right (in my opinion.)

I am always worried about bits of bark coming off and spoiling the look of it, I have never had a go.
More for that list :wink:

Paul.J":1xd5bth3 said:
Nice chunky looking piece Chas :D
I think Pete is bringing you round to rustic :lol:

Never thought I'd see the day :lol: Good to see you doing proper turning at last instead of showing us all up with your usual meticulous items Chas. Interesting to see the techniques for mounting. I tried doing that with a doughnut chuck but couldn't get it stable enough to cut. Must have a go at making one of those. Have to be in wood though, can't do metal

pete

richburrow":2il6zysb said:
The shape and proportions are just right (in my opinion.)

Never sure how thin to take them Rich, just stopped with this one whilst the bark texture still held its character, just seemed right at the time.

richburrow":2il6zysb said:
I am always worried about bits of bark coming off and spoiling the look of it,....

Up till now most of my home dried stuff has released it's bark, or at least in part, so has not lead to me attempting pieces. I now seem to have collected quite a bit with firm bark, guess I am just lucky with the drying rate/conditions or maybe it's the fact that I have enough lying around that it has had longer to dry slowly and naturally.

Bodrighy":3ewbuegl said:
.... Must have a go at making one of those. Have to be in wood though, can't do metal
pete

I use the Cole Jaw plates Pete in faceplate mode, not a cheap option but very versatile for oddball pieces.

A decent piece of 18mm dense Ply should be fine, just make sure your clamps have opposing packers cut to correct length to keep them level.

With a bit of thought you can position the studs in such a position that they will still retain the piece whilst the lathe stops if one should start to let go.

Biggest problem is getting the third and four hand into gear to place/adjust the leveling packers whilst you tighten the clamps.

I try to use wood/hardboard tipped bolts/studding to form the support cradle, adjusted from the back of the faceplate, they don't fall out whilst clamping or turning.

johnny.t.":1ul4bf19 said:
Very nice Chas, does it have a proper sturdy base or one of those tiny arty piece jobs? :D

JT

It has a plain flat base for stability JT, it's intended as a sweets/nibbles dispenser so tipping over in use is not desirable.

______
________Can you do me earings like thatbut the same colour as this Pendant._______________Click on image for larger view.
______
________
________So out with the Laburnum Off-cuts.

As an aside, got the best finish yet on these using the burnishing mops, ironically the efforts to provide even lighting have removed the high gloss highlights.

They look nice Chas, I must rig me up an off centre thing for holding round jewelery,it looks a hell of a lot better than just circular like I've been making(that SWMBO has nicknamed 'party rings' after the biccies :roll: )

JT

______
________Go on have a guess._______________Click on image for larger view.
______
________
________Indian Rosewood 75mm long.

johnny.t.":tlj0fzvt said:
I'm going to say cigar holder for one cigar,although you know that I'm really wondering if it buzzes :shock:

JT
:roll: :roll:

Somewhat small for either application JT :lol:

Back