Turning for real men!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Who needs a lathe?"

Well, you do if you want something that looks better than a bit of timber that resembles the product of a deranged, caffeinated chipmunk in a hamster wheel.

Nice one Richard!

What is most disturbing is this has been posted by a professional turner, a writer and someone who runs courses for beginning turners. If this is funny what else is funny about H&S and safe practice.

The problem is Phillip, that there is nothing funny about H&S and that is its main problem! H&S and the people that go on and on and on about it are so dry and boring that people switch off and don't pay as much attention as they should. By bringing morons like this to the attention of other turners then we can spread the message that this kind of behaviour is so unsafe as to be ridiculous and should not be tried by anyone!

Richard

Philip Streeting":3sqv5r5r said:
What is most disturbing is this has been posted by a professional turner, a writer and someone who runs courses for beginning turners. If this is funny what else is funny about H&S and safe practice.

Well, I don't find the fact that Richard has posted this as disturbing, he doesn't claim that it is funny. I can't say that I found it enjoyable but alarming that someone could do something so stupid. Why is it disturbing that Richard posted this - do you think he thinks it's a good idea or something that new turners should try?

To compound the demonstrators stupidity he tilts the pillar drill to reveal that it isn't even bolted down!

Whilst clearly this is stupid practice, the Health and Safety Police are about to ruin our lives and in the process remove our right to exercise common sense, an oxymoron if ever there was one, sadly the thing about common sense is that its not that common. However I do not believe that Richard has in the remotest compromised his professional integrity whatsoever.

This was posted a few days ago on anothe rthread, there an even worse one though of a guy doing a bowl on table saw !!!!

Philip Streeting":3j3zuh5s said:
I'm sorry Philip but I think that's one of the most disingenuous posts I've read for a long time.

Jon

If we amateurs are to have a good grasp of safe working practices it is sometimes good to see just how stupid it is possible to be when these are not adopted. Philip recognised immediately what was illustrated as dangerous and ill advised. I see no reason why the rest of us should be any less capable of exercising similar judgement.
I regularly read and enjoy Richard's magazine articles which always emphasise the importance of health and safety. I think his light hearted post on this forum serves to emphasise just how seriously we should take these aspects of our hobby.

Hi Philip,
Happy to....

Synonyms of disingenuous: artful, crooked, cunning, deceitful, designing, dishonest, duplicitous, false, feigned, foxy, guileful, indirect, insidious, mendacious, oblique, shifty, sly, tricky, two-faced, uncandid, underhanded, unfair, unfrank, wily.

I considered that your post suggested that Richard's posting of the video was in some way condoning the actions of the guy on YouTube and/or that Richard considered H&S issues were an issue of amusement. Both interpretations I consider to be a wholly disingenuous view of Richard's posting.

HTH
Jon

Guys, please, there is enough of this bickering on the other forums, lets keep it civil eh ?

Thank you Chipmunk for clarifying your previous post. I have no problem with your description either of me or my posting now that you have explained your point of view. You are as entitled to that opinion as I am to mine.

You may wish to read the review of the only talk I have been invited to make in the past 8 years - co-incidentally at Richard's Club, as far as I am aware he was unable to attend that night.

You will probably see that the review was written by Guy Ravine Chair of the Register of Professional Turners.
http://www.tudor-rose-turners.co.uk/newsletter31.pdf

I am not into social networking or being Mr Niceguy, I do express my views and opinions and am happy to be intelligently challenged on them. You may have noted that if annoymous posters are rude to me I am happy to respond in kind.

What someone does in the privacy of their own workshop is fine by me but the moment someone places something in the public domain the scenario changes.

I used the example of Guy Ravine above to illustrate my respect for him. I have spent many years being critical of the organisation he represents, I expected a bad review but he produced a balanced objective view and I thank him for that.

I hope to do the same for Richard in July. Let’s hope he is not of a nervous disposition

In this personality driven world we live in it is easy to big yourself up using Forums and Social Media. Most of us believe the hype and posturing and because someone has a high degree of self belief it is easy to accept what they may be saying is true.

Anyone who dares to be critical is pounced on and vilified – been there and got the T-Shirt.

To show an understanding of H&S we can all pick on someone who has posted something on YouTube and ridicule them because it is simple, they are someone we don’t know, somewhere in the world 1000’s of miles away. We can call them a moron or silly person for doing this apparently dangerous activity – they have no redress, there are no repercussions for the critic. Shock, humor or any other response is valid but no outcome is possible from the illustration other than one of self-satisfaction that the critic and the viewer would never do anything as stupid as this.

Mostly, examples selected, come from highly industrialised and developed nations where all citizens, regardless of their access to education or opportunities for training – should, apparently, know better. Third world examples would not work because sympathy would be expressed for these poor unfortunate souls who are probably uneducated – there is a reason why they do not know better.

My understanding of safe working with a bandsaw is that the blade guard should be adjusted to approx 3mm to 6mm clearance above the depth of the wood being cut, hands and fingers on straight through cuts should not be closer than 75mm to the blade. Pulling your hand away at the last minute does not count!

Is there good bandsaw technique being shown in the video below? Included is bad adjustment, no push stick, small piece of wood, large fingers, exposed blade, accident waiting to happen. Stop the video at 1.58 mins.

Should the producer of the video be tackled publically? No of course not it is unbritish to be critical of such a nice guy who is apparently well educated and who only did this because of clarity in filming, he does actually know better, doesn’t normally do this but in this instance chose not to show safe practice.

Neil, given the comments you have made here and on the Woodworkers Institute Forum would you be happy for your sons you mention to be taught the technique shown in the video. Would you sue the teacher if they chopped their fingers off or would you accept it was just one of those things that happen now and again and the student should have known better?

Would Richard or Chipmunk like to comment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNqv4a3jE0

Hi Philip,
You do make some interesting points there, but have you actually read through what you wrote with a view to how it might sound or be construed?

I'm sure you are a nice bloke but honestly your posts have a "holier than thou" air as if you've never done any dodgy things in your own workshop or ever laughed at the clips on "You've been Framed".

I'm sorry, but unless you have the logical constitution of Mr Spock from Star Trek then I simply don't believe you.
Jon

mmm...... do you read anything Chipmunk before you comment? I said earlier in this thread what anyone does in the privacy of their workshop and whatever risk that take with their own H&S is their business and no-one else's. I do not demonstrate, for this very reason, most experimental techniques I use as they are dangerous and I have said so in the past. If you teach someone or illustrate a technique as a professional there is in my view a moral duty involved.

In case you are interested and do not know I am a fully qualified teacher for adults in further and higher education and was a practitioner in a vocational training workshop with responsibility for H&S and COSSH. What do you do and who are you?

Back