Turning flowers!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My daughter has asked me to make her some flowers for the little silver birch vase I made for her but I don`t know where to begin?. I suppose flowers like tulips may be possible but I can`t find any info on turning flowers on the web and wondered if anyone could point me to any info please?. Are the curved stems for such flowers straightforward?.
Many thanks
Steve

Steve, you can see some being made hereby Chris, and some finished on the table in one of the later pics.
They are made by taking a slender branch of Green Hazel and peeling back the wood in layers with a skew.
The 'petals' are coloured with felt tip pens.

Hi all
Thanks for the replies and links. I wonder if carving was more what I had in mind for the flowers?. Wooden flowers I have seen in shops have been more solid in appearance looking like a proper Tulip for example. I can grasp how to make the basic shape on a lathe but I assume the petals etc would have to be carved afterwards somehow. Does that make sense?.
Cheers
Steve

HI

If you are looking at something like THIS they are not easy to make. The petals are made from thin veneers, steamed and bent to shape.

Martin jones SITE has a selection of flowers all his are first turned then carved.

john

Back