Turning Cartwheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm699

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that as I was posting, I would go for it again.
Well the title's a double lie really, they are not real cart wheels and they are not turned - but never mind.

I was asked to make these for a theatrical production (another one) which needed some wheels - they are planned to be load bearing (low loads - again for theatrical use) in the future if required. set of three required.
I know that the quality of the work is not excellent but as I live in a world of smoke and mirrors, the final look is what is important. Lots of PU glue and the wheels will be painted in the end anyway.

5817865312_280b7875e4.jpg

I cut and glued up 8 sections for the rim (3" * 4") and 2" * 2" for the spokes, a single cross to make 4 spokes and 4 cut ones, all jointed into the rims and the cross in the middle.

5817865346_a0875df869.jpg

I temporarily screwed a piece of MDF to the centre to make a hub. Drilled a hole in the centre to fit a M16 nut in and then bolted a length of angle (with an M16 bolt in it) to the router table to get the centre far enough away from the cutter to make the wheel. After each couple of passes I took the wheel off the table and removed the overhanging waste with a chisel with the cutter so high, i was rather wary of letting it catch.

5817340243_49963889d6.jpg

5817865440_572e180cae.jpg

More sawdust flies - my lady took the pictures - I had a full face shield for the working (and two extracts!)
I currently have a car in the workshop as well - hence the rather crowded appearance.

5817865594_2ed085c9d2.jpg

Nearly there, final bit to lose and then a sand over and they are off to the art department for painting - they might take a spoke shave and shave the spokes - it depends on what the director wants!

5817865520_c762ac53b7.jpg

Nearly there, one more to go and they are off to roll their way into the limelight - more jobs in the offing

1- Cannon Muzzles - probably MDF circles made on the router table and stacked and glued. - not too interesting
2- Flickering lantern (nowt woody in there-lots of electronics though) and a box for it to fall into and explode (gas flame system!)
3- Brace of firing pistols (pyros, not bullets!)

Back