An old slab table revisited

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF1000

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My journey into making slab tables started back in around 2012 when I bought a 70mm thick piece of very old oak off an eBay seller in Lincolnshire. Not having much in the way of tools/techniques I simply sanded the cupped and twisted slab before treating it with danish oil.

It was mounted on top of some legs I fashioned out of a half moon section of an elbow of oak I also bought at the same time …..amazingly I got both for under £50 😁.

Over the years I’ve attempted to sort out the twist & cupping with a long plane getting it to a reasonably flat state. This weekend I decided to put the slab onto my milling table and finally get it properly levelled.

it took a couple of passes on top & bottom to sort it IMG_1074.jpeg
here is the start on the top surface …shows how much in reality it was twisted.
IMG_1075.jpeg
and after a full pass

IMG_1076.jpeg
here it is after levelling most of it prior to repositioning to level the other end
IMG_1077.jpeg
this shows how both sides were higher than the centre.

After some work with my monster Wolf belt sander then orbital discs I got it down to 400 grit and gave it a quick coat of the white spirit/tung oil/satin varnish mix

IMG_1080.jpeg
still some work to do to eliminate the fient lines from the spillboard cutter and then I’ve plans for the legs.

More to follow

Back