Turning captive rings with a skew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McAldo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am set on improving my questionable skills with the skew.
Today I spent a few hours turning captive rings.
I managed several between one inch and one quarter, failed quite a few, but I didn't quite manage to come up with a good surface underneath the rings. It's pretty ragged.
I tried to do everything with the long point of my one inch skew.

Cutting under the ring feels a bit risky. I was thinking the best way is to roll underneath with the long point, cutting a little kerf in the wood holding the ring, and push the tip down to peel the waste.
Rinse and repeat from both sides until the ring comes free.
To be honest, the rolling part is a bit nerve wrecking (I am pretty bad with the skew right now).

Is that the right way of freeing the ring?

gregmcateer":1nnqe42x said:
I've only achieved one in practise, after watching Allan Batty's youtube video - it's a great tutorial, linked to on here before;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

Thanks!
I watched that a few weeks ago, it is very good I agree.
I remember he peeled his way to a very thin section. I'll watch it again surely it can't hurt.

A party piece of Dave Regester, was to turn captive rings with an axe. I think it was shown in one of his books.
- http://www.daveregester.co.uk/

If you click on My Articles then follow the instructions you can view a series of pictures of him turning an eccentric trunnion box with a captive ring - using conventional tools.

If you click on ' learn about my turned wooden products' on the home page, you can view some photos of him & his workshop.

After shaping the rings they are easier to cut free using a sharpened allen key (set in a handle of course) and then the stem of the piece can be taken to an approxiamately similar diameter, and some abrasive attached with double sided tape. You can the sand the inside of the ring(s)

Pete

Latest posts

Back