Turned Base for Dad's Bird.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Established Member
Reaction score
Siorrachd Obar Dheathain , ALBA & Now Botesd
Hi All .... I cant remember if I mentioned this before.....

My Dad was asked to carve a Falcon for the Falconry School guy, who I'd made a bowl for before. He eventually got around to doing it, and asked me to turn a simple dark base for it to be mounted onto.

He gave me the dimension he wanted.. so I turned a very simple sycamore base and ebonised it, having drilled two 'through holes' 2" apart to allow the bird to be permanently affixed to the base.

He ( the 'old man' ), has now got around to sending me a photo of the finished job, now that he's handed it over to the Falcon guy.

I personally think the base could have been a tiny bit wider.. but my dad and his carving teacher thing the proportions between the two are fine.

Anyway... my turned part of the job is only a tiny percentage of the finished thing, but I thought you may like to see what the turning was used for, and I reckon my old fella made a pretty darn fine job of the bird. :D ( and the recipient was absolutely delighted with it. )
The bird is carved in Lime.

I'll pass any comments good or bad, on to My dad to read. :D 8) ... he'll appreciate the input of 'creative people' like yourselves !

Looks very smart and tidy Jenx, Spray eboniser did you use ?

The budgie ain't too bad either !

;-)

I think the carving is pretty terrific, =D> but I also think it would have looked better with a square base with a chamfered top.
(Just a personal thing)
Other than the shape I recon you can both give yourselves a big pat on the back. =D> =D> =D> =D>

John. B

You`ve a very talented dad, Jenx.
Looks terrific, i can quite believe the recipient was highly delighted.

That's beautiful Alan. Tell you old man he's a gifted guy. I can't see a problem wit the base personally, looks OK and doesn't detract from the carving which is the main thing.

Pwete

=D> =D> =D> Very nice carving from your dad Alan,
i think the base is just fine. 8)

I think you did the easy half of that job Jenx :lol: :wink: :wink: !! (not to take away from the fact that your very small part was very well executed) but the bird is something else!!! Top job =D> =D> =D>

Richard

Hi Jenx,
An excellent job all round.
The carving is superb, and your base complements it really well.
For what it is worth, I think the proportions of your base are about right.
No wonder the recipient was delighted with it

Malc :D

Hi Alun agree with most of the previous posters, base is fine and the bird is brilliant. If I was the recipient I too would be delighted.

Regards,

Mike C

Hi Alun,
I think the proportions are just right, with your base complimenting a superb example of your fathers ability. Its one thing learning to interface turning tools, a rotating piece of timber and your minds eye to what you wish to achieve but when it comes to carving a block of wood in 3D to create a finished result like this that is something else.
Well done to you both, I'm not surprised the recipient was over the moon.
Regards,
Ian

What a delightful piece of ART to recieve from you both .I'm sure the reciepient will treasure it for ever.What a team?? REgards Boysie.

Latest posts

Back