Tuffsaws Service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmunk

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a new M42 bandsaw blade for my Warco CY90 metalcutting bandsaw about a month ago from Tuffsaws. Tuffsaws price is very competitive, with an M42 blade only £2 more than the carbon steel Warco blade. Postage was next to nothing because I also bought a new M42 blade for my big woodcutting bandsaw.

The little blade cut beautifully but the other day it just broke at the weld - mid-cut. I must admit I was a little disappointed but took a couple of photos of the break and emailed Tuffsaws and what do you know?

I received a really apologetic email and a new one in the post which arrived two days later!

...One very satisfied customer
Jon

That's the normal service from Tuffsaw. Ian prides himself on doing it right. That's why so many people use him and would not go elsewhere.

The Metal cutting bandsaws put considerably more stress on the weld due to the smaller wheel radii and I think getting the temper of the weld right in harder steels is quite a challenge.
I've noticed it's also easier to institute tooth root cracks in blades on my small metal cutting bandsaw, again I assume due to combination of too much tension and smaller wheel radius.
Can't remember having any such problems on our larger workshop machines despite blades being welded with on machine electric welds by the the operators.

Chas,
It's a very good point.

My metal cutting bandsaw, like other horizontal machines, puts a nasty twist into the blade to create more clearance which can't help. The weld gets flexed first in one direction and then the other every revolution.

My big 18" vertical woodcutting bandsaw doesn't introduce anything like that stress.
Jon

Latest posts

Back