Tuffsaw bandsaw blades a bit long.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
new record bs400 bandsaw and first chance i have had to set it up etc.
ordered about £100 worth of blades from tuffsaw, great fast service.
however, just trying them now and they all seem like they are just a tiny bit too long?
they measure pretty much the same as the record blade that's coming of it but after i put the tension lever on they are still pretty saggy so i would have to wind the spring right up to tension, if it would even go that far. im sure it says if you wind it all the way up the spring wears out also.
i lie the record blade on the floor and try to put a tuffsaw blade slipped in it but it will just not fit and vica versa.
totally puzzled here, any ideas?
thanks

Hi James,
I have always found Tuffsaw blades to be spot on. Never a problem and they have this lenght in stock normally, so expect it could be soemthing to do with the BS400. However, give Ian a call at Tuffsaw, just to check what was sent out. Sounds silly, but you did remember to turn the blade release leaver back to tension again after fitting?

Alexam":2houjljm said:
Hi James,
I have always found Tuffsaw blades to be spot on. Never a problem and they have this lenght in stock normally, so expect it could be soemthing to do with the BS400. However, give Ian a call at Tuffsaw, just to check what was sent out. Sounds silly, but you did remember to turn the blade release leaver back to tension again after fitting?
Hi
Yes lever on, record one goes nice and firm, tuffsaw ones still loose?
will give a call but just wanted to check first.
cheers james

James I too have the BS400, I ordered a couple of blades from Ian (I have had blades for my other smaller bandsaw from him and their very good) and like yourself I found the blade has to be tensioned to the end of the limit, but it still cuts ok.

Baldhead

I had two delivered last week I will put one on tomorrow and see how they are

Sounds like you need to order the blades 10mm shorter, Ian can weld them up to any length as required.

How do the Tuffsaw blades measure up to the 3378 mm quoted in the manual? Is this indeed the size of the record supplied blades.

CHJ":jyesqcy1 said:
Sounds like you need to order the blades 10mm shorter, Ian can weld them up to any length as required.

How do the Tuffsaw blades measure up to the 3378 mm quoted in the manual? Is this indeed the size of the record supplied blades.
Chas when I ordered my blades from Ian I told him 133" and gave him the model of the saw, I've had blades for my smaller Axy saw from Ian and they were excellent, I didn't complain to Ian about the blades for the BS400 because I can tension them ok (it is right up to the limit though) I thought it was maybe something to do with the type of blade?

Baldhead

James, Baldhead. have either of you actually measured the Record Blades and the replacement Tuff Blades.

If there is a consistent difference from the 3378 mm (133") it would be good to confirm to let Ian and other members know.

Chas I held the record blade next to Ian's blade and both seem to be the same size, that's why I assumed it was just different metals? I'm sure if I asked Ian he would shorten them but like I say it tensions up and cuts perfectly, the indicator needle is way off the scale, but my understanding of these is that they only give you a rough guide?

I know Bob (Random Orbital Bob) has a BS400, he may have blades from Ian too, however he has his hands full at the minute.

Baldhead

I do know that Bob (Random Orbital Bob), uses blades from Tuffsaw and believe he mentions this in his BS400 review, but if not, he has said this to me when we discussed the BS400 I bought.

My bandsaw is not fully tensioned and the measuring scale is only a bit off from the markings.

I've got a number of different blades from Tuffsaws for my BS400 and haven't had this issue. I only state the bandsaw model number when ordering rather than the specific blade length and I've not had a problem.

Are you tensioning in accordance with the tensioning gauge or by feel? I ignore the indicator and just tension it sufficiently to reduce slack in the blade so that is can only be deflected about 10mm.

Hi Guys
As same with baldhead they appear to be same length but certainly must be different just by a little.
CHJ it's hard to actually measure these exactly, used a tape and both seem about the same but it need's to be accurately measured to mm's which i can't do.
I know the gauge is just a guide and i'm going by feeling, when i get it to near where it should be the spring is pretty much fully compressed and obviously the needle is way way off...
Not keen to have my spring compressed in this manner and would rather the blades were just a bit shorter.
will have another look tomorrow.
thanks james

I use Tuffsaw blades on my Record Power Bandsaw, I would agree that they tension up longer than the record ones, My BS250 isn't equipped with a gauge but I do them by sound as shown by Record Power's demonstrator at a show. I have to say that Tuffsaw blades are in a different league compared to Record Power's own

I managed to change the blade today. It is the same length and tensioned slightly different to the gauge but as they say they are more for guidance then your actual tension point

Are you comparing like with like? I.e. width and thickness as well as length?
The general rule is that the more steel there is in the blade the greater must be the tension.So wider thicker blades will need more tension, even if they are the same length.
S

hi, the bandsaw comes with a 3/4 record blade, i tried a tuffsaw 3/4 and 3/8, both are slack once tension is on, and both require me to wind the tension to the very max with the tension spring compressed.
the 3/4 tuffsaw blade is thicker than the record one but the 3/8 one certainly isn't.

Back