Triton - what's the fuss?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy Pullen":26kpyrcc said:
chipp71970":26kpyrcc said:
Im with you Roombacurious, what is all the fuss about ?

To me it looks like its only worth £98 in the first place :lol:
You're confusing it with all that Festo stuff you were mis-sold :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok I have not actually handled a Triton router but I have just bought two Triton multi stands to build a saw bench to use with my TS55 saw. The top part of the stand doesn't even sit level and needs grinding, this was spotted by someone else on here or on the Festool owners site.

So if they cant make a simple stand right what can I say :)

Oh and anyone comparing them to Festool is quiet obviously insane, compare Mafell , Metabo or Elu to Festool but not Triton its not in the same league. :lol:

as some who "Hasn't even handled a Triton" your not qualified to comment are you?

Trust me, it's a very very good router, mainly for table use.

As for the multistand, i'm with you... terrible

Ah well, that's the multistands out the window then.

So your only evidence for slagging off the router is that the multistands are a bit pants?

The big router really is a gem in a table, Festool don't make anything to compare in that role, nor did Elu, not do Mafell, Metabo or anyone else.

If they did, they might do the same features a bit better - it is a bit plasticky in places and I imagine would be vulnerable to abuse and/or being worked very hard in trade. But I've not broken mine yet, nor heard of an amateur who has. As it is, it stands out as the only router which has been designed specifically for table use, and it shows.

As you are willing to call other people mad on the basis of a brand name, I don't find your views very credible.

OK I surrender to the Triton mafia you win it must be a lovely router if you say so. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When and if I see one I will have a good look at it.

chipp71970":2jlbdgf8 said:
OK I surrender to the Triton mafia you win it must be a lovely router if you say so. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When and if I see one I will have a good look at it.
Even the plastic seems to be of quality :D

Sold my Triton TRA001, to replace with a trend T11 in a Trend router table (PRT). Expensive, but I am very happy with the change - specially like the ability to adjust from above the table (which you can do with appropriate gizmo with triton). I prefer the Trend - so far!

Woof, what are the advantages in that change? Isn't the T11 a DeWalt 625 clone? Are the motor vents exposed in table mode? What did you pay for the T11 a 625 is about £225.00

Regards Curious Tom

The last time I looked at the T10, it appeared to be the same Chinese clone that B&Q were branding and selling a few years ago. The plunge mechanism on that is awful and put me off looking at Trend again even if the T11 is far superior.

Both the Triton and Trend are good routers - if the Trend T11 was going for £98 there would be even more posts about it I'm sure!
Kafkaian - I've never seen a T10 or T11 in B&Q - they sell a budget range of Trend routers not available anywhere else in B&Q. The T11 is the T10 but with above table adjustment and something else I can't remember.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":30m0rtl7 said:
Both the Triton and Trend are good routers - if the Trend T11 was going for £98 there would be even more posts about it I'm sure!
Kafkaian - I've never seen a T10 or T11 in B&Q - they sell a budget range of Trend routers not available anywhere else in B&Q. The T11 is the T10 but with above table adjustment and something else I can't remember.
Cheers
Gidon

You're right, it was the TT/R 127. I looked up the T10 before posting and it was the wrong picture allocated - apologies.

Anyway, my point was, if Trend would want to pass off the TT/R 127 as a serious router in B&Q, then I would be put off Trend..... and I was! 1 x DeWalt 625 and 2 x Triton TRA/B001 for me currently! Also have the B&Q version of the TT/R 127 which I use for rough work and whilst it cuts squarely, setting up and plunging are horrible.

woof":1zyiyu1i said:
Sold my Triton TRA001, to replace with a trend T11 in a Trend router table (PRT). Expensive, but I am very happy with the change - specially like the ability to adjust from above the table (which you can do with appropriate gizmo with triton). I prefer the Trend - so far!
You cannot adjust the height of the TRA001 from above the table with a "gizmo" - unless, by "gizmo," you mean an expensive router lift - and I don't think you do.

The smaller MOF001 Triton router does have a winding handle that adjusts height from above the table, once an extra hole is drilled in the table or insert.

With a built-in rack and pinion, a micro adjuster working through the whole plunge range and an instantly-removeable plunge spring, I've never seen the need for above-the-table height adjustment on either Triton - but having above-the-table bit-changing is the premium feature.

Ray.

Argee you're the man to ask, do Triton know about the problem with the multistands, that the top clamp bit does not sit level.

Someone else posted on how to grind the slot out a bit to allow it to sit level. On here or they may have posted on festool owners group.

chipp71970":18zggk8j said:
Argee you're the man to ask, do Triton know about the problem with the multistands, that the top clamp bit does not sit level.
I couldn't know everything Triton know, chipp, although I am a member of the Australian Demonstrators' page on their home site, where we chat and can be informed of any problems, specific or general. I know of no such problems with the Multistand, nor can I find any by searching.

It IS perfectly possible to assemble the stand incorrectly, which might give the symptoms you describe. I've not had a similar problem, so I can't help from personal experience this time. The relevant parts are shown as in the following diagram (you can download the Multistand manual from my site here if that helps):

quadrant.jpg

Ray

Sorry Argee but I find that a little bit insulting that you think I cannot put something as simple as that together.

Anyway it has been put together as per Tritons instructions.

The problem is the curved slot where the bolt runs for adjusting the angle of the head it is not long enough so does not let the head fully stop level.

Below is the post that proves I am not the only one and this is a fault with the multi stands.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=1486.0

Other than that they are great stands.

chipp71970":2ky2b82s said:
Sorry Argee but I find that a little bit insulting that you think I cannot put something as simple as that together.

Steady on. Ray is only trying to help.

Why apologise, chipp? - if you're insulted, then you're insulted, but as many here will confirm, that has never been my intention when replying to any post.

I know for certain that it CAN be assembled wrongly and that such assembly does NOT allow the quadrant to pivot fully. I believe it's to do with using the bolts and washers in the wrong way. It seems as though it's assembled as per, but a re-try proves otherwise. If I get the time, I'll strip mine down and try to reproduce it, but no promises, as I'm preparing to depart on holiday until mid-February.

I looked at your post that "proves" it's a fault and found that the final entry said: "Hmmm, now on my sixth without such a problem. Go figure.."

Ray.

Argee":2tc123gg said:
woof":2tc123gg said:
You cannot adjust the height of the TRA001 from above the table with a "gizmo" - unless, by "gizmo," you mean an expensive router lift - and I don't think you do.

The smaller MOF001 Triton router does have a winding handle that adjusts height from above the table, once an extra hole is drilled in the table or insert.

Indeed I stand corrected! Won't be the first time either I hope. Thanks :)

With a built-in rack and pinion, a micro adjuster working through the whole plunge range and an instantly-removeable plunge spring, I've never seen the need for above-the-table height adjustment on either Triton - but having above-the-table bit-changing is the premium feature.

Ray.

I really like the ability to adjust cutter depth from above the table - so you can just make one pass - turn the handle (1 turn = 1.5mm) next pass and so on.
However, what I don't like about the T11 is what Ray has mentioned above, bit changing of the trend is below the table :cry:

I think it also simply has to do with differences in opinion, and my opinion is biased by the way I have used these routers differently. When I had my triton, I used it handheld whereas the Trend I have used predominantly in a table. This probably does cloud my judgement as it is not a like-for-like comparison and why ATM I prefer the Trend!

Don't worry I am sure I will get over it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you are right but I don't normally build things wrong.

I just noticed a few people on that post had this problem so automatically thought it was a manufacturing problem.

When I get 5 minutes I will take a look at mine and see, I will post on the other Multistands thread that someone has started.

If there is a problem I am sure I can sort it out with a bit of grinding :lol:

Back