Triton - what's the fuss?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roombacurious

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that I'll be probably labeled a heretic after this but I've been reading the recent threads on the hunt for "cheap" Triton routers and I can't see what the fuss is about. I played with one the other day in my local B&Q and yes it's well made and plunges smoothly but so do all good brands. What's so special about them especially at this price?

its all about table use imo,

fast and easy rise and fall system
automatic spindle lock
above table bit change
and the power :D

HERETIC! BURN HIM!

It's just a very good very solid router with some fantastic features. At the current price, you;d be barmy not to use it in your table. Even HH it's a trrat to use.

Im with you Roombacurious, what is all the fuss about ?

To me it looks like its only worth £98 in the first place :lol:

chipp71970":eux8dm0d said:
Im with you Roombacurious, what is all the fuss about ?

You're confusing it with all that Festo stuff you were mis-sold :lol: :lol: :lol:

chipp71970":2ei64xb6 said:

So you agree tenpin got a bargain when he paid £40 for one? :lol:

I think I paid more than 180 for my original one.

The video was really good. Well engineered piece of kit...

Good thing I don't use my router all that often 'cause I'd feel obliged to go and buy one after this!

And I thought they were only into crocodiles, Foster's and stuff! :lol:

I paid £200+ or something for my first four or five years ago. I couldn't resist getting a second at that price, for a horizontal router table or just on a spare plate to save settings.

I don't hold any torches for the company - I have the smaller router and hate it and I've never wanted any of its other kit (except maybe the multistands, which look quite useful).

But the big router is brilliant in a table - as good (and clever) in its way as any of my festools. I wouldn't swap it for the big festool router (for table use).

As others have alluded to, it's the table use that sets it apart, and that extra lift above the table to remove the collet/router bits is sublime.

As for hand-held, am happy with the deWalt 625.

Built in Taiwan, sets it apart from the Chinese alternatives. Love it. Just bought another just in case at £80 - a 20% discount on the sale price because B&Q had messed me around with a completely different issue. And they got it in from Kidderminster for me.

Interesting Jake. I'm not keen on the multistands but I think i'm in the minority.

I was in the market for the smaller router. What would you recommend as an alternative? Recently I have been wondering if the big Triton really is too big for HH use.

How come re the multistnads, Wizer? I've no experience of them, until someone mentioned them the other day, and they looked quite good - but I did say to myself 'must see before thinking about purchasing'.

As for routers, I think the big T is too bulky and awkward for handheld, and the little one is seriously underpowered. I also confess to not getting on with the winder mech (on either) when it's the right way up and with springs in. It seems unnecessarily fussy in handheld mode.

Handheld, I use the CMT clone of the MOF177 mostly. It's big, but much more wieldy than the triton. I don't hold it up as the ultimate, but it does the job. I keep meaning to buy a smaller 1/2 inch router when the power isn't all needed (thus the small triton) but haven't re-entered the fray. I'll probably end up going for an OF1400 at some point when I'm feeling very flush.

yes the festool option is floating around in my mind. For now it'll have to be the big triton (because I seem to have 2).

Not sure what it is about the multistands. It might just be the one I have, but I find it hard to adjust and then it tends to slip down unless you tighten it really really hard. Then of course it hard to loosen. I would really like a stand like this which has some sort of crank micro height adjustment. Not seen anything on the market like this.

I have not heard anyone else moan about the multistands so you'll probably like them.

roombacurious":2rb3a1mh said:
I know that I'll be probably labeled a heretic after this but I've been reading the recent threads on the hunt for "cheap" Triton routers and I can't see what the fuss is about. I played with one the other day in my local B&Q and yes it's well made and plunges smoothly but so do all good brands. What's so special about them especially at this price?

They are specifically designed for the table with several novel features and as such, excel above all others in this application (I also have a Trend T11, which is close, but not quite a s good)

Back