Triton TRB001 Router replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookman

Established Member
Reaction score
My table-mounted Triton TRB001 has just packed up for second time. The armature appears to have gone again. This has already been replaced under warranty within a year of purchase, and the replacement has only been in since June 2008. I only use the router as a hobbyist and it really hasn't done much work at all.

Consequently I am loathed to (a) have it repaired yet again, or (b) buy another Triton as it seems to be made with poor/cheap components (I think it is manufactured in China).

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Triton? I really don't want to spend more than £200 on a replacement, and will use the router almost all the time inverted in my Triton router table. I want a 1/2" collet and maybe more power (the Triton is 2HP). I also want something that can match the Triton's excellent collet lock and above-table cutter changing.

Any ideas are welcome.

Hey there bookman.

How about one of these, 270459472939 on ebay they come highly recomended.

I have the smaller Triton in my table, and I have to say, i havent had any troubles at all and would recomend it to anyone.
But I'm sure every manufacturer has there faults and problems.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy

I would get the triton repaired, contact Northampton Woodwork centre, they have a HUGE pile of big Tritons for breaking up for spares.

I've seen the Freud FT3000 mentioned elsewhere, as a cheaper router with above table adjustment. Might be an option. Anybody here have any experience with it?

Boz

I've had my triton 1/2" router 7 years and the serial number is 00472 and I am looking forward to another 7 years, Speed never been changed, left at number 5 for everything.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I decided to ditch the Triton and bought a Freud FT3000. It seems pretty well put together and has a far superior collet to the Triton. The through the table adjustment is a little tedious, but I don't think it is any more so than the Triton - at least it is above the table. The collet lock is very good. There is plenty of power, and I think it feels more powerful than the Triton although mine was obviously sickly towards the end of it's rather short life.

I haven't done a huge amount of work with it yet, but the cutting I have done with it is very smooth and effortless. The dust extraction also seems far more efficient than the Triton with virtually no dust going onto the floor.

Back