Triton TRB001 router and Record RPMS-R table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inventor

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a major upgrade and wondering about a Triton TRB001 router to dedicate to a Record Power RPMS-R table. I see several comments saying generally nice things about these, but it's about £500, so it had better be good! Do these tools, jointly or severally, work well? Does the sliding table work nicely for tenoning and for panel moulding? What's the longest piece I can mould with the sliding table?

Can anyone explain the difference between a Triton TRA001 and a TRB001?

I'll be using this to make cabinets and some low-volume custom windows. I'd like a spindle moulder but don't really have either space or money :( Thanks!

Ho Ho, this is a past hot topic.

Don't bother with the table, make your own. There are loads of threads as to how to do, and you can customise for your own needs and if you really need super accuracy you can spend the money you saved on an Incra fence.

The router is a belter too, not sure on model number differences, but I am sure someone will know.

I think the model numbers are just for different countries. No difference in the routers.

Hi Inventor,

I'm thinking of a major upgrade and wondering about a Triton TRB001 router to dedicate to a Record Power RPMS-R table. I see several comments saying generally nice things about these,...

I have one of these tables albeit with a Hitachi M12V not the Triton. The Triton sounds like the perfect table router from others comments. As for the table, well there seems to be a general low opinion of it on the forum. But as a user I get on well with it.

Does the sliding table work nicely for tenoning and for panel moulding?

The sliding table is agricultural but very effective. It's good for fielding panels and cupboard doors.

What's the longest piece I can mould with the sliding table?

The longest you can mould on the sliding table is approximately 3 feet.

...but it's about £500, so it had better be good!

You could spend as much on building your own. Whether it is worth it depends on how you value your time. I think the Record (et Al) table has some drawbacks in it's design "out of the box". However they are more niggling than fundamental IMO. I did some tweaks to my setup mostly to improve the clampdowns. I did however get the CI table machined out to enable use of my shortest router bits without an extension.

Some info here if you hadn't already seen it.
cheers,

Ike

<PS>

For my two cents worth. I felt that buying a router table and insert plate made sense in order to get a really good flat surface, something i would find difficult to get spot on. I got the top and insert from incra via the woodworkersworkshop (great service really nice bloke) the quality is awesome and the aluminium is mega thick (thats a technical description).
The base on the otherhand seems silly not to make yourself and is in hand with my new pocket hole jig.
Owen

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

The Record Power RPMS-R does indeed look very similar to the cheaper Fox table. Maybe the Fox has no NVR switch, but that's OK because I have a spare one.

I love the description of the sliding table as "agricultural"! I'm thinking of buying this table, rather than building one, specifically because of the slider. Opinions?

On the other hand, I'd not thought of an Incra fence, reputedly usable for all sorts of fancy joinery. Anyone out there using one on a router table? Made any fancy joints lately? Worth the money? BUT isn't the Incra router fence only available with inch calibration? No inches in my workshop, please! Is there a metric one? I can't find one.

Thanks again!

The Record, Fox Ryobi are as essentially the same. They would all come from the same factory.

inventor":2n86jf52 said:
BUT isn't the Incra router fence only available with inch calibration? No inches in my workshop, please! Is there a metric one? I can't find one.

Early Incra's (pre LS variants) came with meshed teeth - the normal pitch being imperial..but you could buy a set of green metric ones from Incra. I don't know about the current position vis a vis the LS variants but if you can get a non-LS version then you can go metric.

I use the Incra for it's adjustment and repeatability on my router table and never used it to make a fancy joint :wink:

Inventor

I have the exact same setup as you mention and in my opinion they are made for each other. I split the extract pipe by making a "y" shaped joint, one pipe to the table and the other to the router. If you do buy do not forget to remove the plunge spring.

Les

Back