Triton TRA001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SP

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this router recently and so far have been extremely pleased.
Today though it twice allowed a 1/4" bit to rise out of the collet and cause the cut to be too deep (router under table).
It was the cutter that moved, not the 1/4" sleeve and yet I had tightened it hard.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is it possible to get a proper 1/4" collet for the Triton?

Thanks for any help,
Stephen

Hello Stephen,
personally I have not had the problem with mine, any cutters that I buy now are 1/2" shaft as I don't really trust the collets.
Somebody advised me once not to leave your cutters in the router when not in use.
The collet I use is the one that came with the router.

hi sp,

you have a metric collet (6.3mm) and an imperial bit (6mm) you need to get an imperial collet (6mm).

woodbutcher

Could it be that you are overtightening the collet? The Great Northern is on at Harrogate this weekend so that would be a good place to ask of someone face to face.

woodbutcher":2vaytlz8 said:
hi sp,

you have a metric collet (6.3mm) and an imperial bit (6mm) you need to get an imperial collet (6mm).

woodbutcher
You have those the wrong way round WB the imperial being 1/4" (6.35mm) and 6mm being metric, but yes you might be right.

woodbutcher":1vw3ehkq said:
hi sp,

woodbutcher

Surely that should be the other way round - 1/4" is 6.35mm. If this is the problem it would be metric shank in imperial collet.

Yes, I've had the same problem with a Trend 1/4" straight cutting bit. I assume the reducer that comes with the Triton is 1/4" as if it was 6mm it would be a little on the tight side for a 1/4" bit. The bits just slip in to the reducer, tightened up well and still wandered out. I was using my handheld and it spat it at me, fortunately I moved but there were some nice sparks on the garage floor as the bit got chewed up :(

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check to see if there's a difference between the sizes - imperial/metric, but I've been looking on the Triton Australia forum and they seem to have problems aswell. Wonder if it's a design fault. I notice the new Triton router has a 2 piece more convential collet and comes with 1/4" and 1/2" full collets.

Like someone suggested I'll just have to get a whole new set of 1/2" cutters. Oh well ;)

SP":o6exhnck said:
I notice the new Triton router has a 2 piece more convential collet and comes with 1/4" and 1/2" full collets.

The collet fitted to the TRA001 is known as an "Hitachi-style" collet for the (fairly obvious) reason that they were used on Hitachi routers. In some countries, notably Australia, the smaller router (MOF001) is also supplied with the Hitachi-style 1/2" collet plus 1/4" insert sleeve.

Currently, in the UK, the smaller router comes in kit form, in a moulded box, complete with two dedicated self-releasing style collets, one 1/2" the other 1/4" as you say.

The difference between the two collet types is apparent when viewed side by side. The Hitachi-style has sharply-angled shoulders on the male part and a coarse thread. The self-releasing type has a shallow slope to the collet and a fine thread. Hence, the self-releasing style is easier to tighten, but requires more physical turns, whereas the Hitachi-style is tight in less than a quarter of a turn, but requires considerably more effort to tighten correctly.

Most of the creep problems with Hitachi-style collets seem to be a product of under-tightening.

Ray.

Back