Triton in the UK - problems?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I e-mailed all the suppliers I googled yesterday evening with the same question "can you supply a MOF001". I also e-mailed directly the managing director of the only importer in Norway with a more detailed inquiry - thought it would be interesting to hear what his plans are regarding customer service etc in the future. Maybe I'll get some insider-info !
The only reply I have received so far was from www.tritontools.co.uk quote "Sorry we have no stock of this item and will not be getting them back in." Perhaps they should do something about their site a bit quick like ..!

MikeP - Try here for the Trend T11 www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=4921& ... istory=cat. They sell everything Trend. Looks like an exceptionally good price. I've bought from MTMC before and recommend their service. Ordered a Trend biscuit joiner on a Wednesday and it was at the door the following Thursday - in Norway !
Sounds like we are travelling down the same road at the same time. If I don't track down a Triton by the end of next week then I'll also be ordering a T11 from MTMC. We'll see what I get in e-mail replies on Monday - I would really rather have a Triton MOF and take a chance on what happens in the future.

I believe the 2 Trend (and other, like CMT) DW 625 lookalikes are all made in the same Italian factory, and are more or less identical apart from colour, or what's in the box etc., except for Trend's modified router table version which includes above table adjustment, (and a bigger 'ole in the base?)

You don't have to use an extension (rather runout prone) for above table bit change if you get (or make) a cranked spanner. Also, the RC Eliminator quick chuck is quite handy and much less added run out than extensions, and allows bit change by allen key (it's a US made replacement "chuck" available in the UK from Woodrat's website, and maybe elsewhere)

Just wondered why anyone would buy a tool from a company thats gone out of business, with very little chance of getting back-up or spares ?

Not having a go at Triton, but would anyone buy say (if still available) a Rover car ? I would think not.

Especially when there are equivalent models produced by other manufacturers with equally good pedigree. In the case of routers, Makita, Trend, DeWalt & CMT all come to mind, though it appears the last 3 are all clones.

busy builder":27gvvzzg said:
Just wondered why anyone would buy a tool from a company thats gone out of business, with very little chance of getting back-up or spares?
Your "very little chance of getting back-up or spares" point, whilst worthy, has not yet been established. Silverline have said (to me and others) that they're committed to providing a full distribution and spares service on Triton products, but I neither work for them, or are privy to their boardroom decisions.

That's why I suggested, in an earlier reponse, that interested parties ring them to find out "from the horse's mouth," rather than take my (usually reliable) word for it. :)

Ray

Quick update: I checked out the TRA001 on eBay at £149 + £10 PP. I've contacted the chap selling it and he seems very genuine. The product is shrink wrapped and clearly brand new. Have to admit I'm quite tempted but the warranty and future repair question is still, IMHO, a cause for concern. [I know it's very unlikely I'd have a problem but hard experience has taught me it can and does happen]

My current thinking: To put things in perspective if I spent an extra £40 I could get a brand new DW625 (with a fine adjuster) delivered from Axminster. Functionally I'd actually prefer the Triton but the saving vs risk isn't big enough to sway me towards the eBay route.

I concur with Argee's comment that the jury is still out on future support for Triton products. But I can't help wondering to what extent any UK distributor can give assurances if the fate of the manufacturing company is still unknown. Do we know products and parts will continue to be manufactured?

I've floated the idea of haggling on price for the Triton if it fails to sell at the advertised price. So if a deal transpires then great - I was destined to join the Triton owners club. If not then I'm thinking the T11 from MTMC at £230 looks the best option as the extra £30 would give me a useful benefit over the DW625. (Thanks for the pointer Krysstel).

As usual any views, suggestions or heckling most welcome.

MikeP":z73b19qv said:
But I can't help wondering to what extent any UK distributor can give assurances if the fate of the manufacturing company is still unknown. Do we know products and parts will continue to be manufactured?
Completely agree and exactly my thoughts. As I would be buying in the UK (if I can find a MOF001 that is) and then exporting to Norway I am in the perhaps unique postion of not really worrying too much about after sales backup. The cost of returning a faulty unit to the UK supplier would be so high that I would probably rather pay for the repairs locally. However, if the manufacturer goes out of business it doesn't matter where I buy or repair !
MikeP - I think both you and I are probably better off with the T11. I am at least not prepared to wait indefinately for the future of Triton manufacturing to be decided, regardless of the good intentions of Silverline regarding spares/repairs.

I can confirm I have also had excellent service from the above company, ask for David Ashworth.

Harry

... I am in the perhaps unique postion of not really worrying too much about after sales backup.
Not that unique unless you know something about eBay after sales I don't :lol: Your point about a repair being available at any price is spot on

I think we're definitely on the same wavelength Krysstel. I'll keep my nerve until the end of the eBay auction (17/1) but then make a quick decision. I should order your T11 straight away as knowing my luck MTMC will put the price up on 16/1 :wink:

I'll wait til about Tuesday or so and see if I get any responce from the 5 or 6 mails I sent out Friday evening, especially from the one and only importer/agent for Triton in Norway, and then do a half hour google session to see if I can beat MTMC price for the T11.

Krysstell - check your private messages - I've sent you one which you haven't read yet.

Look up there ^^ In the row of blue icons which starts FAQ, Search Memberlist, Profile, the next one is messages - click on that.

Cheers

Jake

This is probably of only minor interest for other forum members but I'll post anyway ......

Had a reply from the m/d of the sole Triton outlet in Norway. As expected a typical sales pitch with vague phrases like "a lot going on with Triton at the moment" and "very exciting developments" etc etc. He claimed he had secued a small stock from which he could sell me a MOF001. I beleive these have probably come from Germany, certainly not from the UK, so if anyone's really desperate then a check around Europe is maybe the only way of getting hold of Triton gear at the moment.
However, with the current uncertain future for the Triton brand I definately won't be buying from him. No point in paying Norwegian retail prices for a make that may disappear in a few weeks or months.

Suppose thats why B & Q are discontinuing them then ?

Surprised no one else has checked their local store for you, there's none in mine, and the only 2 local hardware stores have never stocked Triton either. Our B & Q never has any of the special offers that others seem to get,t hats the Highlands for you.

Final update:

I got a helpful response to my email to Triton in Australia via Sharp End in the UK so that bit's working - I was quite impressed. Sharp End have plenty of MOFs in stock and are "having no problem getting fresh supplies" but was only able to make optimistic noises about the future of Triton.

The TRA001 on eBay for £160 inc delivery has gone.

So fate has taken charge. T11 on order from MTMC.

Thanks again for all the advice and views

Back