Trim Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another to consider is the Bosch 600. I've had mine for some years, using it for trimming, chamfering and setting hinges.
Interestingly like the Makita the height adjustment is a bit of a pain. If buying again I'd like to hold the two to see which feels best in the hand.

Colin

+1 for the makita. The katsu is a false economy, and always remember cheap will always be cheap. Cheap castings, poor tolerances no real guarantee.
If your katsu cheapo breaks, chances are you'll need to buy another rather than be able to exchange it for a new replacement under warranty, as in the case of makita/bosch/festool etc.

And at the end of the day you've replaced one cheapo router that broke with another cheapo router that might also break. One replacement due to that and you've now spent the same money that the makita would have cost you.

I know the above user is happy with his Bosch 600, but that trimmer is one speed. 33,000rpm
33,000rpm might be fine for dead straight cutters, but anything for moulding is more than likely going to vibrate like hell and probably wander up or down in the collet. The makita is variable speed, so you can drop it right down if using a moulding cutter.

Cordless is fine if outside a workshop where mains power might not be available. If its in a workshop then mains is readily available and a router is going to be power hungry

Last edited:
I’ve had the Makita one since about 2018 and a Katsu since 2021..both are good. But as mentioned, the height adjustment isn’t brilliant. I use mine a lot for doing door hinges and latch plates (Either free hand or if I’m doing a lot of doors with a flush bit and jig). Dialling in an exact depth can be a lesson in patience.

Seriously considering getting either the Bosch or Dewalt equivalents that have fine adjustment

I’ve had the Makita one since about 2018 and a Katsu since 2021..both are good. But as mentioned, the height adjustment isn’t brilliant. I use mine a lot for doing door hinges and latch plates (Either free hand or if I’m doing a lot of doors with a flush bit and jig). Dialling in an exact depth can be a lesson in patience
You should try the Festool MFK 700. No springs - all adjustment is by rotating a very accurate dial. Yes, it costs a fortune but is so satisfying to use. :rolleyes:

I have a Makita 3700B trimmer that I have had since sometime in the early to mid 80's. Simple and always turns on. Given that it is still made says something about the quality and longevity of Makita tools. It lives with a 1/8" round over bit in it. If I wanted a second I would get one of the newer models with more precise height adjustments rather than the loosen and nudge version I have.

Pete

I've got the katsu corded, a Rutland branded plunge trim router and the Milwaukee cordless trim router. The bearings failed in the katsu in very shot order, I replaced them, it works but it's soo bloody loud and vibrates a lot, the Rutland's router is better, still loud and seems to be made better but, the best is the Milwaukee, the adjustment is nice, the fact it comes to a stop almost immediately is great and, being brushless it's so quiet, you can easily hold a conversation while it's running.

I’m another advocate of the Makita mains as whilst previously having also owned the Katsu, it felt a step up. Nothing inherently wrong with the Katsu which I passed on to someone and I understand is still in good use, but the Makita just felt better to me.

North Yorkshire is a big county so it depends where you are, but you’re welcome to try mine if it helps.

+1 Makita 240v from me.

I used to teach power tool classes and had four of these. They’re solid and the ergonomics feel great in-hand.

Pros:
• Round base - you can follow templates with the foot at any angle, dont need to worry about keeping a flat foot flat to a template.

• Variable speed on 240v is precise (battery version only has 3 settings)

• 240v can run for ages without battery swap (handy for doing lots of routing when mounted in table for example)

• Accurate

Cons:
• Cutter height adjust is a bit fiddly but fine when you get used to it

• doesn’t have an led to see where you’re going (probs not an issue if you have a bright workshop)

I have one one of mine permanently mounted upside down in a sheet of ply with a roundover cutter in, super handy for quick tasks.

...as mentioned, the height adjustment isn’t brilliant. Dialling in an exact depth can be a lesson in patience.

Same machine, same application, same problem. This is what I made and it has transformed the machine. It happens to be aluminium, but there is no reason a wooden or 3D printed version could not be used. 3D model or drawing available if required.

router adjuster.jpg

• Round base

Round base with a notch in it for the fence, so it is not freely rotatable the full 360 degrees.

And the 'does not have an LED' is misleading. It is very difficult to find any mains powered tool with an LED - as the cordless versions are native DC and low voltage, their DNA is way more suited to an LED.

Back