Triffidish tool chest with a nod to JK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":2dvn0plg said:
In fact, I'd go further...the whole front just doesn't work. The 'vase' inlay combined with the SS kitchen drawer pulls just 'jars'. It could've been a nice piece, but for me...niil points - Rob
The vase jars! Very witty. :roll:
Niil Points - could be a Finnish ballet dancer?

Anyway I like it. Mainly because it's a bit against the grain - "boldly going" etc. You don't know how these things will turn out if you don't take the risk.

woodbloke":zsgdag8z said:
Paul Chapman":zsgdag8z said:
However, now it's done I'm not sure I like the veneer on the front of the drawers. Looks too much like a vase. Maybe it would have looked better with straight sides :-k As it is, it looks like there is too much going on.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
In fact, I'd go further...the whole front just doesn't work. The 'vase' inlay combined with the SS kitchen drawer pulls just 'jars'. It could've been a nice piece, but for me...niil points - Rob

Your totally polarised views expressed in an utterly tactless manner never cease to amaze me Rob.

Sure, when people post things they should expect criticism and discussion, but when it comes to bluntness you really take the biscuit.

Ed

Mr Ed":v6f5kxan said:
woodbloke":v6f5kxan said:
Paul Chapman":v6f5kxan said:
However, now it's done I'm not sure I like the veneer on the front of the drawers. Looks too much like a vase. Maybe it would have looked better with straight sides :-k As it is, it looks like there is too much going on.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Your totally polarised views expressed in an utterly tactless manner never cease to amaze me Rob.

Sure, when people post things they should expect criticism and discussion, but when it comes to bluntness you really take the biscuit.

Ed
Sorry, Ed, I say it like it is...if you don't like it, I suggest you clear of somewhere else. Fwiw, as I've said countless times, anything that I offer up is completely open to criticism provided it can be justified and as I've said here, in my view, the handles and 'vase' clash horribly. Agreed there is a flavour of JK in the piece, but that front is something that would have made his toes curl - Rob

woodbloke":2onsxod3 said:
........... JK ..... that front is something that would have made his toes curl - Rob
I see that as a point in its favour.

:lol: well for the most part, I have cleared off elsewhere, but occasionally I'm drawn back here by the warm banter and camaraderie between the members :lol:

When you say that you "tell it like it is" you're a bit misguided, what you do is tell it how YOU see it, which is only one point of view. The art of criticism is to review the merits and demerits of a piece, without just making proclamations on things being either rubbish or great.

I have no doubt that you will continue to plough the same furrow, but you might find people listen to you more if you were to offer feedback in a more measured way.

Ed

Mr Ed":fvatjuwl said:
When you say that you "tell it like it is" you're a bit misguided, what you do is tell it how YOU see it, which is only one point of view. The art of criticism is to review the merits and demerits of a piece, without just making proclamations on things being either rubbish or great.

I have no doubt that you will continue to plough the same furrow, but you might find people listen to you more if you were to offer feedback in a more measured way.

Ed
Exactly Ed...it is MY point of view as I see it as I've repeatedly said and I did offer some feedback on this piece by mentioning that 'if the 'vase' had been used on it's own with some sort of self-opening drawer mechanism (push to open catch maybe?) it would have been much better' and Paul C rightly said... 'it looks like there is too much going on.'

Whether folk pay any attention to my words of wisdon :-" is entirely up to them, but I will continue to offer critiques on pieces of work that interest me in the same way that anyone is free to openly praise or degrade anything that I do. Case in point is the recent Robert Ingham style box:

24FinishedboxexteriorSMALL.jpg

...that I recently finished which was given a hammering by several members because of the brass feet I'd fitted. On reflection and on the excellent, sound advice from other forum members, I removed the feet, which did in fact make it look better.

I would far rather see forum members speak their minds openly about a piece rather than offer up what in many cases are simply banal pleasantries...sure, it's nice to hear that people like what you've done, but equally I want to hear what they don't like, because it's only by taking the negative issues on board are we as woodies able move on and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes in the next piece - Rob

I do try to generate animated debate on actual woodwork so I am pleased with the comments posted. There is a bit of a dearth of projects and I make no secret this one is a bit off the wall. IMHO that is what it is about, curves, feelings impressions finding ways to make best use of the beauty of the natural material. Sometimes you have to take chances and doing so in public is quite a challenge. I already knew anything Krenovian is not generally popular but I don't have a problem as I don't have to make my living from my work. Basically it is for me.

Thanks for those for whom I have struck a chord, it's good to know you are out there. If you were not familiar with the genre then look up James Krenov books. Interesting to note the Northern and Scottish bias. Also thanks to the cavalry who rose to my defence. It wasn't necessary but good to hear. Jacob's one liner about Finnish ballet dancers has kept me smiling all day and "the vase that jars" could become the title for the piece.

For the critics I am happy to receive constructive comment from Paul and take it on board seriously. So far as the handles are concerned it was deliberate and, even after further thought, I like them. I don't think a mix of polished metal and dark hardwood is a problem, certainly Alan Peters didn't think so, although he was in a different orbit. This piece was and is a design mule and was never intended for Cheltenham (although unlike two pieces there the drawers actually open when you pull them).

So where to now? I may return to the original spec and make some utility drawers for use in the workshop and make a "proper" cabinet for the spalted drawers. I need to resolve the issue of the tops of the legs, although I like them finishing short of the top, and they may need to be more slender.

Thanks for your interest I'll post it up when it happens.

woodbloke":2bdlmjul said:
Nice one Rob. What do you keep in it - your grandma's ashes or something else suitably solemn?
NB it's NUL points I believe. Nice website here.

PS Hiya Brian - got home all right, she seems to have had one too many - nothing new there!

My pleasure.
They were right about the brass feet IMHO. Would have made it look even more funereal. Might as well have "R.I.P." on top in inlaid brass!

Jacob":1fza8plj said:
My pleasure.
They were right about the brass feet IMHO. Would have made it look even more funereal. Might as well have "R.I.P." on top in inlaid brass!
The 'ifs, buts, whys and wherefores' on this piece were debated some time ago and I've no intention of re-opening the discussion or hijacking the OP's thread...I merely used it as an example where forum members gave excellent advice. Suffice to say that RI has made a couple of much bigger and far more impressive jewelery chests which I thought were fantastic so I decided to try and make something smaller using the same sort of design features and constructional technques - Rob

Finally decided to stick to the original plan and leave it as is, as a tool chest. I can use the lessons leaned on the next piece and not have to live with the errors I couldn't avoid this time!

I haven't finished the fronts yet but decided to clear out the workshop and load it up this afternoon.

IMG_0328.jpg

Gratuitous toolies please seek adult supervision before proceeding :D

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

It's really nice to have all the main stuff in one place and at eye level - no more crawling around the workshop floor to peer under benches and low cupboards.

I'll gradually refine the layout then make some retainers and maybe a couple of sliding trays. I am pleased with the outcome, warts and all and enjoyed the repartie :D

Thanks for watching

Back