Trestles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in need of heavy duty adjustable height trestles
do they all work on a hole and pin mechanism, as it would be good to get them same height as my mft
I have some 4m x 900 walnut worktops to cut down (pineapple heavy)
I often use some cheapo paste tables as a temporary cutting table, but they wont take the weight
so it is time to bite the bullet and get something more useful, they will get used again

anyone recommend please?

Steve

There was a genius cutting plan for a saw horse design from standard ply sheets with minimum waste that was posted a fair while back. Not sure they will meet your adjustable height reqs mind. I've been to work and back and then cutting bathroom tiles and then the grass and then 'can-you-jet-wash-just-the-paddling- pool-while- you're- there and im having a cider otherwise id make an effort and search it out for you so you can do it yourself. Hopefully someone will .... Ahhh sod it. Want summat done, do it yerself.
sore-hoarses-mkii-now-with-added-plans-t44761.html
Hope it helps.
Cheers now.

Chris.

I use these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHuWGXH ... gs=pl%2Cwn

There are a few clones, Axminster being one.

They are very adjustable, fold up well and they will take a serious amount of weight. I think mine came in two sizes and I bought the high capacity version. I use mine for green oak framing, and I have regularly used them to prep up 300mm by 300mm by 6m long oak beams. I lift one end onto one trestle, then the other end goes up. That lump of oak is seriously heavy. You can also easily turn them into a temporary heavy duty workbench. Indestructible and they will last longer than you. Very easy to store as the legs fold inside the top. Easily portable in car or van. Highly recommended. Much better and more practical than most home made wooden trestles.

I have a couple of folding height adjustable trestles by toughbuilt.
They're rated for some serious weight and they fold up for storage / transport.
There's a bracket affair at each end - so a pair of 2x4's can be put between a pair of trestles to support a temporary work surface (sheet of 8x4...). A couple of other clever features too.
The height adjustment thing is useful - it helped while installing new kitchen worktops and in manhandling a 60Kg bench drill up onto the bench without lifting tackle :)
The top surface is covered with a "sandpaper" like grip tape which isn't so friendly to wood though.
I scored a pair for about £105 at a show. Not at all cheap but being able to fold them up for storage is very, very useful.

They're the C700 model BTW - slightly different from the one in the preceding video.

looks like they could be an option
can't find much info on the height, unless that is what the 700 stands for?

Steve

SteveF":1cssokb4 said:
it would be good to get them same height as my mft

Do you mean approximately the same height, or exactly the same height?

If you need exactly the same height you might be better making your own trestles/saw horses, and then make a spacer block that can rest on top to take the height up to precisely match the MFT.

Trestles are fun things to make, especially if you go for the traditional pattern with double splayed legs.
Saw-Horses-01.jpg

Saw-Horses-02.jpg

The morticing for a double splay is sufficiently tricky that you have to pay attention and think a bit. But, as a utilitarian item in cheap wood, you don't have to fret about absolutely gap free results. That's a formula for an entertaining little project!

Attachments

• Saw-Horses-01.jpg
    Saw-Horses-01.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 600
  • Saw-Horses-02.jpg
    Saw-Horses-02.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 600
Yes, mine are Toughbuilt as well. Fully height adjustable with a click lock system. I forgot the brand so just did internet search rather than trek to the workshop.

custard":7mpgccl8 said:
SteveF":7mpgccl8 said:

If you need exactly the same height you might be better making your own trestles/saw horses, and then make a spacer block that can rest on top to take the height up to precisely match the MFT.

Trestles are fun things to make, especially if you go for the traditional pattern with double splayed legs.

The morticing for a double splay is sufficiently tricky that you have to pay attention and think a bit. But, as a utilitarian item in cheap wood, you don't have to fret about absolutely gap free results. That's a formula for an entertaining little project!

they would be of good woodworking practice
but I am in full kitchen build mode
so sadly off the shelf is order of the day
a pair of saw horses would be great addition to workshop
Steve

custard":2uz2xvbk said:
SteveF":2uz2xvbk said:

Making a pair of those was a typical test for entry onto building sites as a carpenter in Australia in the 80s. "Here's some scrap timber, here's a saw, some marking tools, a pencil, a drill, a chisel and a screwdriver. I'll come back in an hour and see how you're getting on....."

BTW, I've had the same saw horses for over 30 years......although I've changed the tops a couple of times, and put new legs on them 8 or 10 years ago. And I always make mine stack such that the brace sits on the top of the one below, otherwise they jam onto each other.

Back