Trend router question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eric,

The Bosch cannot be left on without holding the switch. You can use a strap (cable tie) to hold the switch on similar to the Trend T5 lock on clip if you want to use it in a table.

Steve

Thanks SteveL, a cable tie does'nt cost much so I'm still undecided. The Axminister has a bit more power and has a 1/2" collet, does anyone know who makes their routers?

PLEASE TAKE NOTE !!!

STEER CLEAR OF THE DEWALT 624 ROUTER IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS MACHINE TO USE AND SHOULD NOT BE ON PUBLIC SALE !!!

I BOUGHT ONE YESTERDAY AND FIRST THING ON MONDAY IT IS GOING BACK TO THE SHOP WHERE I BOUGHT IT !!!

WHY ?

HOW MANY ROUTERS HAVE YOU COME ACROSS THAT WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT ON THE BOX AND PLUG THEM IN YOU FIND THAT THE ROUTER POWERS UP BY ITSELF ?
YES, BY ITESELF !!!
THIS ROUTER DOES NOT HAVE A SAFETY TRIGGER, IT HAS A NON RETURN ON-OFF SWITCH AND WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX IT POWERED ON !!!
I CAN TELL YOU THAT I GOT A HELL OF A SHOCK WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN AND THE WHOLE MACHINE WENT SPINNING AROUND, WINDING THE MAINS LEAD AROUND ITSELF !!!
LUCKILY FOR ME I HAD A MATE WHO QUICKLY UNPLUGGED THE MACHINE BEFORE ANY DAMAGE WAS DONE BUT I CAN TELL YOU IT CAME VERY CLOSE TO DISASTER FOR ME,MY WORKTOP JIG AND THE ROUTER !!!
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL OF THE NEW SAFETY MEASURES THAT WE IN THE BUILDING TRADE HAVE TO COMPLY WITH TODAY THAT SUCH A MACHINE COULD GO ON SALE !!!
A V O I D A T A L L C O S T S ! ! !

Hi Topcatman,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I disagree with your comments about the Dewalt 624 router. I think you should have looked the machine over and checked you knew how the controls worked before plugging it and applying the power.
There are a large number of machines that have latching power switches or lock on switches, you should of checked this before you plugged the lead in.
I have six routers, three have latching switches, one has a lock on switch and the other two are regularly used with a cable tie holding the switch on, the power being controlled with a separate nought volt release switch. I always unplug the lead before changing the cutter, even if there are two switches that are off between the power and the motor. I value my fingers and I think you need to review you working practises.

Do you drive? Normal practise is to check if the car has been left in gear, before putting in the key and trying to start the engine, but that is what you didn't do with this router.

Another point for your information, posting all in capitals on the forum is the verbal equivalent of shouting and is considered rude.

topcatman":ijapy3p8 said:
PLEASE TAKE NOTE !!!

STEER CLEAR OF THE DEWALT 624 ROUTER IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS MACHINE TO USE AND SHOULD NOT BE ON PUBLIC SALE !!!

I BOUGHT ONE YESTERDAY AND FIRST THING ON MONDAY IT IS GOING BACK TO THE SHOP WHERE I BOUGHT IT !!!

WHY ?

HOW MANY ROUTERS HAVE YOU COME ACROSS THAT WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT ON THE BOX AND PLUG THEM IN YOU FIND THAT THE ROUTER POWERS UP BY ITSELF ?
YES, BY ITESELF !!!
THIS ROUTER DOES NOT HAVE A SAFETY TRIGGER, IT HAS A NON RETURN ON-OFF SWITCH AND WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX IT POWERED ON !!!
I CAN TELL YOU THAT I GOT A HELL OF A SHOCK WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN AND THE WHOLE MACHINE WENT SPINNING AROUND, WINDING THE MAINS LEAD AROUND ITSELF !!!
LUCKILY FOR ME I HAD A MATE WHO QUICKLY UNPLUGGED THE MACHINE BEFORE ANY DAMAGE WAS DONE BUT I CAN TELL YOU IT CAME VERY CLOSE TO DISASTER FOR ME,MY WORKTOP JIG AND THE ROUTER !!!
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL OF THE NEW SAFETY MEASURES THAT WE IN THE BUILDING TRADE HAVE TO COMPLY WITH TODAY THAT SUCH A MACHINE COULD GO ON SALE !!!
A V O I D A T A L L C O S T S ! ! !

You'd best be carefull with car doors too, if you open one, stick your head in the gap and slam it a few times it can be rather uncomfortable...

Back to the subject in hand, I have a Trend T5 which I now find a bit underpowered for the larger jobs I do, that said, I bought it because I was used to my dad's old Elu (which is still going despite being older than me). It has a proper fence, is reliable and you can buy spares cheaply from the likes of Miles tools when you drop it on the cap and crack it, not that I would... It was about £108 5 years ago and I use it freehand, clamped upside down in a vice as an impromptu router table and in my baby woodrat. I believe that if you are firmly clamping a router in a table then the quality does not need to be as great as you aren't using a lot of the features like a smooth plunge, a good fence etc. If you can find one, the Triton for £99 from B&Q is probably the best deal around at the moment, ugly as sin but apparently very good.

Aidan

Ring every B&Q your willing to drive to nearby or far away an ask if they have any Triton 2000W routers left. I made a 100mile + trip for mine and it was worth every penny for £98.

Well this is an old thread that has been dug up but what the heck - I have the performance pro router mounted in my table and find it OK for grunt work under there...
I have the axminster 1/2 inch router for other work and that is also a very nice router as far as I can tell...

Yes, I agree that you do not have to spend £200 plus to get a descent router.

As my comment before, you can spend £200+ and get one from dewalt that is dangerous and NOT worth the money !!!

For those with shed loads of money, let them spend it on brand names that they can show off proudly along with their solid gold choker chains solid gold watches solid gold and diamond rings and solid gold bracelets !!!

For the rest of us that don't have shed loads of money we can get a very nice router that is capable of cutting worktop joints for well under £100.

Moral: JUST BECAUSE IT COSTS A LOT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS IS GOOD AND JUST BECAUSE IT IS CHEAP DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NO GOOD.

P.S. I speak as a professional carpenter with 46 years experience so I do know what I am talking about !!!
P.P.S I do have a small 1/4" ELU router for mouldings and fine work which has been good for many years.
I have done the DEWALT thing with cordless drills and cordless power saws etc but luckily I GOT OVER IT !!!
I do NOT have ANY dewalt tools now.

To quote from a Dewalt manual:

Prevent unintentional starting: Ensure the switch is in the off position before connecting to power source

Covers it nicely, I would say.

Unsafe? I don't think so. We have three and never had a problem - but just to show I'm no Dewalt snob we also have the B&Q Performance Pro 1/2" job, and two Ferms!

:)

I have had my T-Tech Trend from B and Q for about 2 years. It has had some very hard work with green oak, plunging etc with out any fault. The spindle lock plate gave up some time ago but causes no problem with changing bits. Grips and an adjustable spanner work. Has been on the RAT as well. Makes the odd strange noise now and again on rundown (brushes!!) So for £100 it costs me nothing. Have just bought Trend T11 (as an upgrade) with underbase adjustment. I must say that there is a noted difference. Didn't buy the yellow machine, because I don't personally believe in them. 8) How many of us and I can put my own hand up have unpacked a machine tried it and found a problem or can't workout why its not doing such and such :? . Then you get the distructions out to have a look. :oops:

topcatman

Please let me know where you can get a router for under a hundred quid that will cut kitchen worktops well. (already have triton)

I do agree with you on the dewalt thing to an extent, I believe manufacture has recently relocated to China, which has cost quality wise. However I would say that routers, sliding mitre saws and...well those two are still ok from dewalt. I have an elu router and an old B&D radial arm saw, both of which have connections to De walt, and they are both great. However I have tried the cheap router path, and whilst I do believe there are 'economy' tools which can be used (maybe jigsaws, circ saws) routers need to be bang on the money.

Now everyone is gonna write in saying that a jigsaw needs to be precise, or their festool circ saw can cut the hair off their chin or something. I love exact tools, just know that you can get away with more on some tools than you can on a router.

It's been said before, but if you work with tools then cheap tools ARE a false economy. You get what you pay for. Now I am off to buy a trend T8 for 20quid (I hope! Auction)

Comments?? C'mon, surely that got your backs up!!! ha ha ha.

Neil

Topcatman wrote:

I speak as a professional carpenter with 46 years experience so I do know what I am talking about

All the more surprising then, that you didn't check the obvious before plugging in ANY power tool.

Neil,

Know where you are coming from re decent power tools. I prefer to buy once. The quality there long after the price is forgotten. Some of my power tools are now over 20 years old - looking a bit beaten up but still 100% functional (mostly Hitachi, Metabo or blue Bosch).

Ike

Back