Trend router question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael7

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just back from B&Q with a Trend T-Tech TT/R127 router, a 2050w 1/2 inch with variable speed and fine depth adjustment. I thought a Trend router for £100 was a bargain so I welcome any comments anyone has to give as I can't find anything on google :eek: :(

Many thanks for the link Paul. I think I'll be taking it back. So whats a good router for £100. I'm thinking of making a table for it also.

Thanks

I got one of the Trend T-Tech TT/R127 when I was starting out in all honesty I don't think much of. When the DIY and home improvements are finish I'm planing on making some unit for my small workshop and I'll be needing to routo a good few rebats and dados. I know when I get round this I either take the DW625 of the rat for use or get my Triton out of the table.

Saying that the Trend T-tech makes a excellent door stop

The Trend T-Tech TTR127 Router is a joint brand venture with Trend and B&Q to support the T-Tech Range of Cutters and Accessories available in store.

This machine is a entry level DIY/Trade product and therefore the technical specification reflects the market that it is aimed at,

I hope this clarifes the difference between the TTR127 and the rest of our range.

andy@trend

Yes I agree with Paul on that one, it is the old Power Pro one. I used to have one but found it total pants. Guide bushes weren't concentric and the lack of electronic speed control caused it to slow down under load. I still have mine under the bench somewhere gathering dust, and that is where it will remain. if you can afford it go for the De Walt 625EK you will not be dissapointed. :wink:

andy@trend":1fy8zxy5 said:
The Trend T-Tech TTR127 Router is a joint brand venture with Trend and B&Q to support the T-Tech Range of Cutters and Accessories available in store.

This machine is a entry level DIY/Trade product and therefore the technical specification reflects the market that it is aimed at,

I hope this clarifes the difference between the TTR127 and the rest of our range.

andy@trend
Ah! T-Tech :idea: the association of Trend & B&Q under the banner T-Tech explains the number 20 biscuits I bought in a T-tech bag did infact have trend written on them.
Interestingly B&Q's web site only show bags of 30 @ £3, I'm sure my bag was 100 for about £4.50p.

Thanks again for the replies and although I would like the idea of spending £200 + I cant really justify it as I've only started out at woodwork and have only made a few things. At the minute I have an old 500w B&D router on loan so I'd like one of my own and after working with it I've found I'd like more power :lol:
I got "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack which looks a great book and has put me in the notion of owning my own router

I see screwfix has a reduction on the DeWalt 624

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 1&id=18075

Thanks

How about E-bay Eric? You can pick up some bargains on there I have on many occasion. Might even end up with the De Walt or a Freud at half price, you never know. :wink: I agree with Paul though that a single speed router will limit you and you will end up changing it later for a variable speed one. Personally I wouldn't bother with a single speed one, all mine are variable. IMHO :wink:

Thanks Mailee
I have been looking at Ebay myself and keeping an eye out for new routers as it would be a safer bet.

Considering a tight budget would it be better buying a good 1/4 inch collet router than a fair 1/2 inch ?

Hi Eric

Eric":317syc9i said:
Considering a tight budget would it be better buying a good 1/4 inch collet router than a fair 1/2 inch ?

I would go for 8mm instead of 1/4". The cutters cost the same, but you get 60% more steel in the shank.

IMHO, the best 8mm router is the DW621K. If you keep looking around you should find one, including 8mm collet, for about 150/160.

HTH.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Eric,
I've got the Bosch POF1300E, cost £78. elecrtonic speed control, nice plunge and fine adjustment. Excellent for the money. Maybe not a dewalt but definitely a good router.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Neil and thanks SteveL, Yes I was looking at the Bosch one. I have a review of it in Practical Woodworking mag and it got the best rating

Hi Eric

Eric":2bd978lo said:
I have a review of it in Practical Woodworking mag and it got the best rating

Apologies if this post smells of grannies and eggs. You should remember that the "best rating" is within the confines of the tools being tested. This might be say, routers under a 100 pound etc.

Cheers
Neil

Under £100 will do me nicely, I know I should be paying more but I want to spend money on other things. I have a builder coming to do work on an outhouse we have which is my present humble workshop. The cost of the work will be around £3000 :shock: :cry: :cry:

Hi Eric,

I've also got the trend T5 and a CMT 1E. I use the bosch for a lot of template work, because of the ease with which the guidebush slips in. Much easier than the screws on the other 2. IMHO I can't see much difference in quality, but it is only used in a hobby workshop. I hope this helps.
Steve :lol:

Hi eric

'tis a Performance Power Pro router as previously sold by B&Q as their own offering. I owned one a while back and they are very good routers - I owned it for 2 years and never regretted buying it

have fun

Back