Trend Hinge Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of doors to make and hang, so I'm trying to make things easy for myself.

So anyone out there use the Trend Hinge Jig? If so is it easy to set up and use?

If its not many doors then I'd stay away. Are they going into new linings? If not then the hinge recesses will be a fixed heights with the jig meaning that you could end up with some filling to do. I find it easier to mark, gauge, chop and free hand route because you can mark the existing frames recesses on to the door so you don't end up with mismatch holes.

If going into new linings and then it could be worthwhile although I must say I was in the same state of mind and did by a trend 75mm jig which I used once on a 8 door job. The jig has now gone to a new owner in Slough.

when talking about the hinge jig we talk about the big one, not just the single hinge jig.

its bloody marvelous as you always have the same measurement on the door as on the doorliner, especially if you do 3 hinges or more

Thanks guys.

Yes it is the door liner as well and we are talking about the full length one.

I actually won one on the bay last night, so a good bit of savings there.
Off to start making the door now.

Mcluma":362s7rpq said:
when talking about the hinge jig we talk about the big one, not just the single hinge jig.

its bloody marvelous as you always have the same measurement on the door as on the doorliner, especially if you do 3 hinges or more

Yes it may give the same measurement on the liner and and door but what if you aren't putting a new liner in and you already have hinge recesses in the liner which may not be matching to your jig. In my experience most people just want the doors changing and not the liners!!!! As I said I used mine once for 8 doors and then it sat there never being used again. If you were a trade that was working on building sites installing doors most of the time I could see this jig being beneficial but for a small amount of doors it's a waste of time in my opinion. Get the chisel and mallet out..

You can get a 2 part snap together hinge jig dedicated to 76mm hinges. That is the one I had.

hjig75-500.jpg

Or you can get the one that cost 3 or 4 times the amount that has more adjustments

41ETuvBSMDL.jpg

I see you’re point, I have to hang in excess of 30 new doors with new door liners, some of them will have 2 hinges, some 3 and some will have 4 hinges.

I have found the trend hinge jig to be a great time saver and can truly recommend it

One set up – which will only take seconds. You will have a perfect match between door and liner. None of the doors or door liners has seen a chisel. I cannot believe or see that a chisel can do a better job then a router. All the bottoms of the hinge are perfect. All are set to the perfect depth. And the time saving achieved is really measurable.

The great benefit of the jig is, it takes out the all need for measurement - the gaps are all perfect (that is if you buy the already pre-cut door liner packs)

I had to modify the hinge jig to accommodate for the 3D hinges I use

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

DSC_3708 by mcluma, on Flickr

DSC_3711 by mcluma, on Flickr

All the doors I've got to hang will have new liners so the jig will be ideal.
I agree it is expensive to have hanging around, only being a hobbyist I tend to buy these things on the bay, use them for the job and then stick them back on the bay, if you're lucky you can break even.

Hi all. Can anybody tell me if i can use the trend hindge jig with any 1/2" router ?,My one is a Dewalt625 according to the trend website its not compatble.

wood chisel":3jd1q38h said:
Hi all. Can anybody tell me if i can use the trend hindge jig with any 1/2" router ?,My one is a Dewalt625 according to the trend website its not compatble.

You can use the Dewalt 625 okay... It will just be a bit heavy and awkward when using on the linings.. It might be easier just getting something like a Trend T4 cheap of Ebay etc...
On the Trend website it says my router is not compatible with the hinge jig or the worktop jigs, i use both :D

John....

LBCarpentry":25f7byxm said:
Does this jig work if using rebated door linings??

Sorry can't help you with there. After getting the jig and trying it on the first door frame, I gave up and went back to the hand method of cutting the recesses.
I was disappointed because I thought it would be as good as the lock jig. Maybe I was doing something fundamentally wrong. Anyway it went straight back on the bay and I got slightly more than I paid for it.

Hi there Recently bought the two piece trend hindge jig ( the black metal one ) no mater which way i set i for the width of the hindge it ends up top hindge perfect,centre hindge off and bottom hindge way off.Even when both hindges are lined up with the scribed lines and checked with a sliding square still not right . has any one ever had this problem?,is the tool faulty? or am i doing something wrong? HELP!!!

Have you tried a straightedge along the jig? if its straight contact Trend, they are very good at helping with problems

John..

Thanks John i have checked it by putting it on its edge on the kitchen worktopand i have noticed a slight bow in the centre but i dont think this can explain why its running off from top to bottom by about 2 > 3mm i even measured the stop bushes to see if they are both the same diamater but seem fine.Confused is not the word.

wood chisel":18parle0 said:
Thanks John i have checked it by putting it on its edge on the kitchen worktopand i have noticed a slight bow in the centre but i dont think this can explain why its running off from top to bottom by about 2 > 3mm i even measured the stop bushes to see if they are both the same diamater but seem fine.Confused is not the word.

That is very confusing :shock: :shock: It should be impossible for it to be out...

John..

So tell us in more detail

is it the width or height that causes the issue

I have done know over 30 doors, never had any problem

you move the template from the door to the doorliner. you do not change any settings, hence its always good. you are not buy any change flipping the jig are you?

give us a bit more information about the problem and we can help you

Hi Chris the problem i have is with the door and the liner when i set for the width by placing the hindge against th sliding bush until it comes in line with the scribe line on both ends and check both ends are the same by using a sliding square and everything looks ok i then route the door and problem if i put the jig on the liner same problem,i do flip it over edge over not top to bottom, the top hindge is fine on the edge the rebate for the second hindge is about 1.5mm to wide and the third rebate is about 3mm to wide ( the top and bottom of the hindge where you set it with the 4mm spaceris fine) i also hope my explanation is not too confusing.

Back