Trend Flush trim bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwpainting

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with these collapsing, I just used a new 10mm template bit and the bloody bearing has disintegrated, trouble is I bought it three months ago, so can't send it back. I thought it may be my fault for not getting the grubscrew tight enough but from what I have read, it seems a lot of people are experiencing the same. It's the bearing just under the cutter thats disintegrated not the the one by the collar. ??

It is a standard bearing. Measure ID, OD and thickness and any bearing supplier or eBay will supply replacements.

What is the Trend part number for the cutter? I am not sure if they sell 10mm ones. They do sell a 3/8" (9.5mm) one. My pickyness does have a reason: if the cutter is imperial, the bearing will also be imperial.

Somewhere or other on Trend's website they offer them as spare parts.

How bad is it ? Bearings fill with fine dust after a while and respond to a little WD40. Worth checking before use as they will overheat if they can't rotate.

Small bearings are never very good, maybe if you can or the design allows for it use a much bigger cutter as its going to have a more robust bearing.

Never had a Wealdon or Infinity bearing fail yet ! They also hold the edge well. If you get the Wealdon trim cutter then it is worth getting the extra bearings that will give you extra control over the depth of cut, they do a good range of sizes.

...it is worth getting the extra bearings that will give you extra control over the depth of cut.

Since the OD of the bearing only moves as fast as you push the router along, it might be possible to 3D print shells to change the diameter of a standard bearing.

One wrap of tape on the bearing would give very fine control.

What I have is a range of oversized bearings so that if I am following a template on a workpiece where the required material removal is irregular then by using the larger bearing and working down irons out the irregularities until you get to the right size bearing. This is good for making curved sections from layers, but a spindle moulder would make the job a lot easier. Would it be cost effective to make these on a 3D printer as the bearings are only a few quid ?

We have come so far since the days of my first set of router cutters a folded and shaped piece of steel that was completely rolled round at the top and bottom and a black and decker router no bearing's there just scorch marks on the wood to sand out then I got my Elu dare'nt use them in that too powerful and the road started to carbide wonderland

Thanks for the comments guys, I did get another trend, the same size but dearer and only one bearing this time. Lets see how that performs.
I think these are made in China ??

Well, I just finished the last of several jigs and went to use this bit in anger and the bearing has siezed up, even though I did oil it before hand.
Thats me done with Trend!!
:mad:(n)🤬

Good cutters may be more expensive but they will serve you well and deliver a good job. Another aspect is to use guide bushes and templates rather than bearings on cutters and this opens up another whole lot of prospects.

Well, I just finished the last of several jigs and went to use this bit in anger and the bearing has siezed up, even though I did oil it before hand.
I have Trend bearing guided cutters both in 1/4 and 1/2 inch shank. Although these do not get a lot of use (hobbyist rather than pro woodworker), I have never had an issue with them.
I clean and sharpen them before I put them away but have never used any kind of lubricant on the bearings. I also keep a silica gel sachet in the box to prevent any corrosion.
I wonder if more recent Trend cutters are using cheaper bearings as a cost cutting initiative?

What did you oil them with?

I wonder if more recent Trend cutters are using cheaper bearings as a cost cutting initiative?
I believe a lot of companies are doing things to reduce product cost as an alternative to big price hikes and not always in the customers best interest and not good for reputation, so cheaper bearings and maybe reducing material spec.

Anyone else seen this, examples being

Getting less in a packet, ie five instead of six

each item is now smaller, rather than 1Kg it is now 950 grams and providing this is stated it is above board and many customers may not pick up on this.

When eating out you get noticably smaller portions

and I bet there are more, as yet an 8 by 4 sheet is still the same.

I blasted the thing with a silicon spray then a tiny drop of chainsaw oil. I have never done that before, never had a problem with a bit from Trend before. I did remove the bearing that had failed on the first bit, but that failed as well, destroying a template in the process. Never again, Wealdon will get all my business from now on.
So, of the two bit's I bought from Trend, both failed almost immediately and were not particularly cheap either.
I just hope the new M class vac of theirs lasts a bit longer.

Sod made in China from now on if possible.

I just hope the new M class vac of theirs lasts a bit longer.

Which model did you buy? If it is the T32, it is a V-Tuf mini with a different paint job. All parts are interchangable between the two (so you can shop around for filter and bags - Machine Mart were good last time I bought some).

Make sure you complain to Trend - at the moment all their bean counters know is that they’ve sold more cutters this year! It’ll be a while before they notice the resulting slump in sales.

Latest posts

Back