Trend DJ300 / CDJ300 Dovetail Jig - What's Different ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieC54

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Trend Dovetail Jig for making some drawers for my workshop (nothing fancy = but heavy duty).

I know the DJ300 Dovetail Jig is the earlier version of the CDJ300 Dovetail Jig, but they look almost the same, are the parts - i.e. guide bushes, cutters, templates etc interchangeable ?

HI steve
I have the trend DJ300, It has all the pieces with it , it works fine for me,
I am thinking of upgrading.

If you are interested in buying it for a reasonable well below new price, I am open to offers.

PM me if you are interested

There are a few. The DJ300 is a bit more substantial. All the metals are thicker and it's generally a better quiality jig. Most importantly the stops are adjustable on the DJ meaning that while you can't dictate the size of the dovetails you can centre them on any width of board. The CDJ300 has fixed stops meaning you have to cut your stock to a specific width to centre the pins. The CDJ600 has adjustable stops but again is of a lower quality than the DJ but obviously can cope with 2' boards. I have the DJ300 and think it's great. Bought it second hand for £30 I think. It has had new locking handes on the front as these are a slight weak spot but to be fair mine has had a lot of use.

Made this with it though

Jewellery-box-002web.jpg

Hi p111dom

So it sounds like the earlier jig (DJ300) is better - quality and function wise than the later jig (CDJ300), probably another cost cutting exercise on the later jig.

Thanks for the info, and very nice box.

I'm just opening my DJ300 box for the first time, I must have bought it around 15 years ago. It still has the seal intact :oops:

On the end it says "Now includes DJ300 gauge and Video TV7 " Somehow I don't think it will be on BluRay :D

The Leigh dovetail jig is adjustable for dovetail width and placement along the timber being worked, it is without doubt the best dovetail jig you can get, but expensive, look on e-bay for a second hand one, preferably the D4R with the router support, can't praise the manual enough either, brilliant bit of kit lives up to all the hype.

Mike

MikeJhn":1tlamzp2 said:
The Leigh dovetail jig is adjustable for dovetail width and placement along the timber being worked, it is without doubt the best dovetail jig you can get, but expensive, look on e-bay for a second hand one, preferably the D4R with the router support, can't praise the manual enough either, brilliant bit of kit lives up to all the hype.

Mike

Blimey :shock:

Bloody good jig but cheapest I could find was £400 second hand

I only paid £250 for this :D

triumph3.jpg

Attachments

• triumph3.jpg
    triumph3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,282
MikeJhn":1dx5i4kw said:
There is one on e-bay at the moment with two Makita Routers included for £350.00 buy it now price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Leigh-dove ... Sw4YdY0RHk its a D4 though not a D4R, not a lot of difference in reality and just as versatile.

Mike

Not a bad price but I've just put an order in for shiny woodpecker fences for router table and drill plus a few sheets of birch ply and some levelling casters so skint for a while.

Back