Trend Air Stealth dust mask review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, thought some of you may be interested in a quick review of the new Trend Air Stealth dust mask http://www.trend-uk.com/en/US/productli ... ealth.html

I run pretty hot, so I suffer a lot from steamy glasses! I'm a big proponent of wearing unobtrusive and comfortable PPE - my theory is that if it's so comfortable to wear, you won't need to take it off as much. I've got the glasses and the ear protection nailed, but the one thing I've really struggled with is the dust mask.

What attracted me to the trend were two things: it's supposed to be easier to breathe through than most dust masks, and the exhaust vent points downwards to avoid steaming up.

y4mEXPOcsHfJvkx_lTHk1KB1wWiRMPR9YWO09wVeil8i9pVMMv2UkgGkXyPrAcCMJtaDLRHHhGllCaBMvUXcrCHO4HmKjhmOb-bc5FPmWpL7y-vA6dGhC796Z6XJxy-75ByUINgzbs5WUcNCb6cNslARmydwgcdljvACAMjKywmeEWFBE_uCTDwlm7jwvvdiITww9MbHFaxX48OkKFv9_aurg

I'm happy to report that it's accurate on both counts. It's much easier to breathe through than other masks I've tried, both inhaling and exhaling. Previous masks have typically been difficult to breathe through my nose, so I end up breathing through my mouth which both dries my mouth and causes a lot of condensation to build up in the mask (eww). The Trend feels much clearer, and I can comfortably breathe through my nose for hours on end. After heavy use, there's still a small amount of condensation inside, but nothing that the air won't dry quickly.

The exhaust vent is located in the centre, but pointing down towards the floor, and my glasses haven't steamed up once. Filters are easily replaced by twisting the red bars to detach the front covers and slotting a new filter pad in place. They're a generous size filter too, with one on each side.

y4mzMKXCv0h4LQPQbiqkjdH1rl6Szva2aw1cYpeGMAkjU2XvOJHy2WfA4Y57lmvav8dlZ7BCCdVfd9rzOvU8VangLeCyGusraYSvrMN55G28S8FFIrEMzyuPuhiyXiSvNdvGQlveLF7JXNzEBEleBSOH_6Y3JmeCQJO5IVgkHgq1vCdE5RYMxmSkuX9KG47Az3-UAiErqihMw3_XWyLAxkISQ

The seal is good, even over my scraggly stubble (poor man's beard), though I can't say how it will work for you gents with big burly beards - I imagine it will be on a par with most other masks (i.e. not great), and a full powered face mask will still be your best option.

The mask has one strap to fit over the top part of the back of your head, and then two red clips that easily hook behind your neck - easy to do blind and with gloves on.

y4mgKb7AXh42MYEVzFgSVAj2zugx7IdWunBL2Okts084sIQt_hq38rhHHCUyefiVOXIceZexjfe8vBBy57wUB2Zdhr8W83TE7LLdjkPxyl704X72RFbMz2OiH4wtEc6JkikMKSP0XG4N-a3AjBCVd5iqSfuXaqCaz0NkEh30FncXtadB-O2NSSiUEETIGuVY1pDtXTU05mAr1b604_5_5QZJg

I was initially worried that the red clips would dig into my neck as they don't sit particularly flush, but I'm pleased to say they don't, and I don't really notice them when in use. Glasses easily slip under the top strap and it's not so tight that it presses the arms against your head.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, and am finding that I'm much less reluctant to reach for the mask, and don't feel the need to take it off so quickly after I've made a cut. I'll happily leave it on indefinitely whilst in the workshop.

Good review, thanks.

Do you know the rating, and where did you get them and how much?

Edit, ignore the questions, I just clicked on the link!

No worries. Yep, P3 with the option for what I believe is carbon filters for fumes? They call them nuisance filters.

I'm fine with just the normal P3s

That's the problem with beards, moustaches or any other type of growth that prevent skin contact of a face mask, the fine particles the obstruction will let through are the ones we are trying to avoid, as you say a full face mask is the only option if you have that problem.

Mike

Good review, thanks for posting Matt. Link bookmarked.

I have no stubble or other "manly growths" (on my face!) but do have a lot of condensation problem with every mask I've tried (glasses wearer, and just as you say, mostly being more or less forced to breath through the mouth). On my Santa list, thanks.

AES

You mention your happy with your eye protection, given that you clearly use it with this mask, can I ask what eye protection you use?

I currently use 3M 7500 masks with the relevant filters and a UVEX over spectacle eye mask. It works and does the job but always on the look out for something more comfortable and stop me taking a break from it as much as I do.

The 3M mask is good as it too has a downward exhaust port and the filers are easily changed however I do find it condenses mist after about 30-40 minutes and this can't be healthy.

I have a full on beard so as noted up there ^ not going to get the best protection but I haven't found a full face mask that works for me either.

shed9":f212qi49 said:
You mention your happy with your eye protection, given that you clearly use it with this mask, can I ask what eye protection you use?

I currently use 3M 7500 masks with the relevant filters and a UVEX over spectacle eye mask. It works and does the job but always on the look out for something more comfortable and stop me taking a break from it as much as I do.

The 3M mask is good as it too has a downward exhaust port and the filers are easily changed however I do find it condenses mist after about 30-40 minutes and this can't be healthy.

I have a full on beard so as noted up there ^ not going to get the best protection but I haven't found a full face mask that works for me either.
Sorry, I missed this question. If it's any help half a year later, I use these : Bolle SILPSI Silium Safety Glasses - Clear https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDWMYI/ ... wBb4BB6F44

They're very lightweight, and sit really on the bridge of the mask and my nose.

I spoke to the inventor / developer of this who partnered with Trend to get it to market. He was on the Trend stand at a trade show earlier in the year.
I was impressed enough to buy one there and then.
I also wear glasses and this mask interfered with them the least of any I've tried so far (except a powered air helmet).
It is smaller and lighter than the Sundstrom SR100 - my previous best fit - and much more comfortable than the 3M 6200 half mask.
It doesn't need an uncomfortable level of tension in the straps to seal over my (short cropped) beard.
I like the idea of the shields to help keep some of the dust off the filters. They are (of necessity) quite small because of the compact design of the mask but pleated and I don't notice any real restriction when breathing.
I'd second Matt's recommendation.

Back