Transporting Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

What with visiting our friends in the North and turning club once a month, I seem to be travelling around with my tools in tow. Has anyone come up with a suitable way to do it? I've tried to find something similar to a bench or carving chisel roll for turning tools but not been successful. When I went to see Richard I took a small suitcase and kind of wrapped the tools in an old dust sheets. Not ideal. I do have a sports bag type thing but still a bit awkward to pack them away. I thought about making a 'tote' but that makes things a bit too heavy.

Surely these pro demonstrators have a method of transporting their tools safely?

Hi Tom.

I've been using one of these for almost a year now. Good strong bag, with shoulder strap, and don't cost the earth.

If the link don't show, go to Screwfix and search for item No 94739

Most demo guys will have a good van with suitable plastic container for all tools, grinders, spanners, bits of abrasive, oils, varnishes, calipers, screw drivers, drills, extension leads etc. The list is almost endless and you will inevitable forget something. Then there is all the wood you need to take to demonstate with. I am one of the speed merchants who will make something often in less than a minute so I can get through quite a bit of stuff. I quite enjoy demo-ing and holding and keeping peoples interest. The general public have got a very short attention span so you have to be as slick and fast and as possible I find. Often the public have never seen any turning and can't believe you can make something of great beauty so quickly. They will often buy the thing they have seen made.
You will improve dramatically by taking your lathe out and about to shows and craft markets educating the public etc Also always be conscious of health and safety ie wear safety glasses, tier hair back if it is long, have a suitable barrier and screen in front oof your lathe.
Finally it is all about having fun and spreading the gospel of woodturning and the beauty of wood.

Tom, try a large canvas tote bag, get some foam water pipe insulation tubes (15/22mm) to cover the tools, protects them in the bag and acts as safety guard if others are tempted to handle them.

Hi guys

I recently went on a days training (better than any book) and had to transport my new shiney turning tools, so I knocked up these two briefcases !!!!

P1020833.jpg

Old bits of thin plywood 'glued n screwed' to offcuts of batten, grooves routed on the sides to take the sliding lid. The lid 'just' clears the tools so they dont rattle too much.

P1020834.jpg

P1020836.jpg

The rails inside were custom fitted to the tools and the whole lot stained with whatever I had leftover from other jobs. Simple handle,
Took about 3 hours to make at about zero cost. They now live above my lathe on a shelf.

P1020837.jpg

All the best

John

I've seen a few carvers with those sort of briefcases at shows and the club. Mind you they have a lot more chisels and gouges than we do.

Pete

Whenever I did a demonstration I travelled in my van. I made two caddies, one for the tools, one for the chucks, faceplates, toolrests, etc. The pictures below show them empty and loaded. No good for travelling on public transport, though! :)

Ray.

caddies1.jpg

caddies3.jpg

Evenin' Ray.

I don't consider myself to be overly safety concious, but ain't you got a cover for those chisels? May be a bit better the other way up on some foam plugs.

4 years ago I was at Woodfest Wales when there was a big rumpus at the other side of the marquee, and out of the crowd came this guy with blood streaming from a couple of holes in his forearm. You guessed it he had stumbled over something behind their club stand and fallen on a tool carrier similar to yours. One chisel went completely through the arm.

Cheers guys. Some really good ideas here. I was initially thinking along the lines of what Ray posted but, as he noted, I sometimes travel on public transport. I have one of those tool bags which I guess is the simplest option. The foam pipe is a good idea to keep tips from bashing about.

Back