Transporting lumber...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SammyQ":3kpo6utk said:
Fiat Multipla!!!!!!

Take out rear seats = van!

My 1.9L diesel pulls 600 kg of trailer tent and five adult bodies, plus luggage, nae probs....60-70 mph and damn near 60 to the gallon on autoroutes....

Biased, Sam

+1 for the Multipla. Used ours to move house, after taking the back seats out :)

wallace":1tw59qlj said:
Nothing a 110 couldn't handle

Wallace...

Nothing my Volvo couldn't handle either, if I wanted to weld on a galvo rack like that one!

About 15 years ago, in my old Volvo 244, I trolled from mid-Lincs, back to Brum, with five 13' two-inch ash planks, two 13' oak planks, and two walnut planks about 5' x 3' lashed onto Hopkirk bars I still have. Made good time as well. Those were the days; full of youth and optimism, and my mates were all still alive!

John :D

phil.p":2a3gc036 said:
I went from Staffordshire to Cornwall with a cast iron spiral stairs on the roof rack of a 245. You should have heard the noise the tyres made against the wheel arches when it hit about eighty... :shock: :)

Sorry Phil.

I didn't mean to swing a 'black-cat'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Subaru Legacy estate.
Can get anything 1800mm long from bootlid to seatbacks (with rear seats folded) and 2400mm length when put diagonally over the front seat.
Anything over that goes on the roofbars. I have some things designed for carrying ladders (the T shaped things) that work well for timber as you put them either side of the centre bit of the ladder thingy.

Pic showing two large pallets (designed for 2400x1250 sheets of metal)

Attachments

• RoofPallets.jpg
    RoofPallets.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 92
marcros":14c386l7 said:
Melinda_dd":14c386l7 said:
I have a Peugeot 206, and I firmly believe it is the Tardis in disguise. I haven't yet found anything that I have needed to transport that hasn't fit in it!! (Including half a double bed and mattress!

With the seats down, it may well be a van... dreading the day I have to get a 'proper, clean' car for using to transport ....people in ...rather than wood!!!

the other half of it? (hammer) :mrgreen:

In the other 206 we had at the time :D

Have an estate now but got a lot of wood in my 2000 micra, recline passenger seat and you can fit in 2.4 lengths perfectly. Actually much better for transporting stuff than it looks. Small vans look useless for transporting long lengths of stuff.

I also use estate with all the seats folded down, I can fit in about 2.5-2.6m. I quiite like the idea of a trailer if I were to start buying larger quantities.

Yup...the S2000 is a great car but not that practical. Ours is now off the road for winter - 1999 and only 20,000 miles. But I digress....

Discovery 2 and RhinoBars on the roof or inside.

I have an Opel Kadett E hatchback from 1984. 1,2 litre OHV engine. The same model was sold as Vauxhall Astra in Britain back in those days. The back seat can be folded down and the roof rack has never been removed in the last 10 years. I usually transport wood on a trailer. Second or third gear uphill and fouth gear downhill. A very good car within it's limitations. The only car I have ever owned.

For heavier transports I use a Massey-Ferguson 165 from 1971 with a 1970-ies Gisebo log trailer. When the temperature falls below -20 celsius it gets uncomfortably cold to sit in the unheated cab and the range is of cause a bit limited by the low speed but a tractor solves a lot of transport problems at a reasonable cost.
värklass.JPG

Attachments

• värklass.JPG
    värklass.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 208
That beats everyone :lol: I did have a 101 forward control for awhile but at about 9miles/gallon to run it was too costly for an everyday vehicle.

Wow....that beats me too:lol: ... but the only way of driving one of those without going bankrupt from fuel costs would probably be converting it to run on woodgas..... and county Durham isn't exactly known for it's vast woodlands....... not to my knowledge.......

My car has adjustable lumbar support.

:wink:

Pete

Back