Tormek T7 vs Worksharp 3000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev Hallam

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new sharpening system, read good reviews about both Tormek and the Worksharp, thought people in here might know which is a better buy.

Nev Hallam":3jpl669p said:
Looking to buy a new sharpening system, read good reviews about both Tormek and the Worksharp, thought people in here might know which is a better buy.

Different tools for different jobs really although there is overlap. Also Tormek is a lot more money.

I have the worksharp 3000 and it is a pretty good method of honing chisels and plane blades. Very quick and relatively mess free. However it cant do knives or planer blades or other cutting tools like you can buy jigs to do on the Tormek. In a wealthy world I would have both but for getting fast accurate bevels and micro bevels on my chisels and hand plane blades the Worksharp is better I think.

I bought the Tormek T7. A fabulous piece of kit. I think it wins hands down in terms of versatility. It's expensive - but the best usually is :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I bought the look-alike-Tormek aka the Scheppach. Used it a few times. Water getting everywhere. Or not having any water. Pain in the backside. Reluctant to sharpen anything.

Then I bought the Worksharp 3000. So.o.o.o easy. Spent the next hour grinding all my chisels back to something sensible. Now it just sits there. Chisel losing its edge? Easy-peasy. Switch it on. Few strokes on the 1000 grit. Job done. Back to work.

I only know the T7, it does sharpen chisels and plane irons well, but not having a dedicated space to site the machine does make it a bind to get it set up and go.

What about the Sorby Pro-Edge, not just for turning tools, the adjustable platform and jigs make it very effective for re-establishing primary grinds on plane irons and chisels, followed by a few strokes on something finer to get your honed bevel.

Not judging whether it's better than the other ideas, just another option.....

Cheers, Paul :D

Nev,
I don't know if this is of interest, but I have a Tormek 1200 which is shortly going to be surplus to requirements. It the older version of the T3. I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price.

It's got the square-edge jig and a tube of paste and has recently been trued. It's a good machine.

I'm just off J25 if you wanted to come and have a look.

Cheers
Steve

I own the Tormek T-7 one of the best purchases I have ever made. PM me if you want a link to purchase it cheap :) Unless people want me to post the link here? (i am not sure if i am allowed to advertise!)

Steve Maskery":1xney8u4 said:
Nev,
It the older version of the T3. I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price.

Cheers
Steve

So there's been a few versions of the Tormek? Just found out my mate has the T3, what's the difference between a T7 and a T3? they look identical, is it something to do with the amount of jigs you get with it?
Might be interested in that Tormek you have, I'm looking for something that can sharpen planer thicknesser blades, or get a jig to suit the device.
Let me know.
Cheers

Nev

I gave up the hassle of sharpening planer blades. Local saw doctors can do a better job in about a tenth of the time I would take....any near you?

or...do what I did and fit the replaceable blades ...much, much easier. Once set up, never have to worry about setting them again.

Nev Hallam":1jjgqhhm said:
Steve Maskery":1jjgqhhm said:
Nev,
It the older version of the T3. I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price.

Cheers
Steve

So there's been a few versions of the Tormek? Just found out my mate has the T3, what's the difference between a T7 and a T3? they look identical, is it something to do with the amount of jigs you get with it?
Might be interested in that Tormek you have, I'm looking for something that can sharpen planer thicknesser blades, or get a jig to suit the device.
Let me know.
Cheers

The main differences between the T3 and T7 are:

T3 has ABS casing, T-7 has metal.
T-7 is rated for commercial use.
T-7 can be used continuously, the t-3 i believe is 30 mins on, 30 mins off (or similar)

Both accept the same jigs, the t7 comes with more jigs however in the package to start with.

Beware with older Tormeks, they don't have a stainless steel shaft, which causes corrosion inside.

I have the worksharp 3000, and really like it, so much so I bought the Jig that enables you to sharpen 3" blades; yet to have the problem on how to sharpen a planner blade.

I took some old Wicks chisels and flattened the backs sharpened and secondary bevel, all nice and easy... with virtually no skill involved; exactly how a machine should be...

Nev Hallam":1h3puiks said:
Steve Maskery":1h3puiks said:
Nev,

Cheers
Steve

Let me know.
Cheers

50mm difference on the stone and what has been said above

Latest posts

Back