Tormek honing wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Tormek 2000. Right or wrong - it's what I have.
I bought it second hand a couple of years ago, for what I now realise was a bargain.
The honing wheel however doesn't have any leather on it - nor does it look as if it ever did. It's just hard rubber/plastic.
Does anyone know please if this is just broken, and needs replacing, or whether they were supplied like this at one time and can/should be used like this?

Assuming it's in need of replacement, I wonder if the Rutlands Record power version Buy Wetstone Grinder Leather Strop Wheel online at Rutlands.com would fit, at significantly less cost than the Tormek version.

The early tormeks did not have a leather wheel as standard, just a rubber wheel, which I think you could upgrade

That sounds to me as if it's missing it's outer leather wheel.
The plastic wheel, with rubber tyre, sits inside an outer wheel
which has the leather tyre.
HTH

Yep - it's curious, I have the drive wheel, with another wheel on top.

In the video the 'wheel on top' shows a a leather covered wheel - whereas mine has a surface finish similar to the drive wheel.

Any chance of a photo please?
If the leather is missing I would try gluing a leather strip around the wheel using a 45 degree butt joint where the edges meet. Charity shop for a thin belt would do doesn't need to be over chunky. If it fails then bay will have someone selling a leather whetstone honing wheel

Last edited:
IMG_2843.JPG

Good idea @okeydokey. Here's a pic of what I have - is this what you expected @Hornbeam ?

The brown mess is the contact adhesive that remained after I tried to glue 'leather' on previously. (Turns out it wasn't leather after all and disintegrated!)

Yep - it's curious, I have the drive wheel, with another wheel on top.

In the video the 'wheel on top' shows a a leather covered wheel - whereas mine has a surface finish similar to the drive wheel.

I inherited mine and it sounds similar to yours. Has a black covering on the honing wheel?

1624789224618.png

I also inherited a Tormek 2000 honing system, a truly excellent piece of kit. Well designed and able to take most, if not all the mods that Tormek market for their systems.
I had this same issue as you and simply went on line and bought a new leather covered honing wheel that came with the treatment gloop. I think I went to Axminster, can’t remember exactly, it was a year or so ago.
After sharpening and stone grading the wheel to 1000 grit, the leather wheel with the honing paste applied brings whatever edge you’re honing to razor sharpness.
For those of us who are in the “pursuit of sharp” there is no better way.

I do like the Tormek, and it's good design - even to the point of the knurled knobs being interchangeable for all of the accessories. Things have never been 'razor' sharp, which I guess is due to not honing properly afterward - hence thinking about upgrading/fixing it.

I'd still like to know if the Rutland wheel fits - as it's only £19.99 vs £59.99 for the Tormek version....

I do like the Tormek, and it's good design - even to the point of the knurled knobs being interchangeable for all of the accessories. Things have never been 'razor' sharp, which I guess is due to not honing properly afterward - hence thinking about upgrading/fixing it.

I'd still like to know if the Rutland wheel fits - as it's only £19.99 vs £59.99 for the Tormek version....
Can’t help you with that.
But I will say that you get what you pay for in terms of original equipment vs cheaper copies esp. where Tormek is concerned.
The Tormek youtube site is excellent for tutorials by the way.

Here's a pic of what I have - is this what you expected @Hornbeam ?
Yes that and Hamster Jams are similar to mine which is one of teh earlier models. TYou can buy a replacement/upgrade honing wheel for about £50. I always finish on waterstones so havent bothered
Ian

I inherited my Tormek with a plastic wheel to which I apply green compound and hone my blades perfectly sharp enough. Never needed to apply leather.

I inherited my Tormek with a plastic wheel to which I apply green compound and hone my blades perfectly sharp enough. Never needed to apply leather.
Interesting - not something I'm familiar with! Do you literally rub it on the wheel whilst it's running, then use that to polish the blade?

Yes exactly. I have a large block of green compound which easily adheres to the wheel and then I manually hold the chisel against the wheel gently for a minute or so until I can shave the back of my hand! I also use a leather strop on a block on my bench but only to keep the blade honed during use without having to use the Tormek.

Back