Honing wheels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Williams

Pickwick
Reaction score
Hi. On the record wg200 wet wheel sharpening system does anyone know what's the best sort of lubricant for the leather honing wheels. I have some sort of paste in a tube, I think it's cutting paste that came with the machine
Thanks.

Hi blister.
These are new wheels, do you put the paste on first or do you put a mineral oil on first then the paste. Cheers.

I use mine with Tormek paste, Autosol, Peek for tool honing. They are all "wet" enough for the leather. By diluting these you would decrease effectivenes of honing compound unless you want the edge to be somewhere in straight razor level. Then I would either just use Dovo paste for leather maintenance or i made mixture of mineral oil and CrOx.

I use mine with Tormek paste, Autosol, Peek for tool honing. They are all "wet" enough for the leather. By diluting these you would decrease effectivenes of honing compound unless you want the edge to be somewhere in straight razor level. Then I would either just use Dovo paste for leather maintenance or i made mixture of mineral oil and CrOx.
Hi adrspach.
That Autosol is it some kind of auto car paste polish for chrome.

I wouldn’t bother with the oil and just use the paste. Too many people add too much oil and then find it doesn’t work as well. I’ve only ever oiled one strop and wished I hadn’t afterwards as it wasn’t the same

1681318809188.png

Read the lower section.

The old tormek forum on yahoo used to be full of people asking why the honing wheel didn’t work as well as the hoped - the first question was usually have you oiled it, the answer was nearly always yes I followed the instructions, the next advice was about trying to get some of the oil out.

From the 10 or more years I was on that forum more wheels were spoiled by oiling than saved.

It might save you about a pounds worth of paste as you’ll need to apply more judiciously at first, but usually when you get one you sharpen everything you can lay your hands on so it happens naturally and isn’t wasted

Latest posts

Back