"Top loading" scrollsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been reading ( a nasty habit I know) about "top loading" scrollsaws, where if you want to make an inside cut, you release the blade from the bottom clamp, lift the top arm, which apparently drags the blade upwards, and you insert the blade into the top of your inside cut hole.
Whereas us normal plebs have to make do with trying to insert the blade into the bottom of the hole.
My question is: how do you get the bottom of the blade back into the bottom clamp?
You can't see down from the top, because your wood is in the way.
You can't see the bottom of the blade, unless you've a great hole in the side of your saw, big enough to get your fingers and some kind of clamp tightening gadget in at the same time?
I can't believe the top arm will lower the blade EXACTLY into place in the clamp!
And yet, people must be buying these things....
Bruce

There seems to pros and cons to both, I think the top loaders replace the blade by "feel", whereas we bottom feeders thread the blade by "feel. Both would appear to have a learning curve and a time required to develop the "knack"

Sue

Bruce
HI. I have one of the top loading scroll saws, excalibur EX-21. When I first got the machine, I just couldn't get the jest of the top loading function. Like you I said "How do you attache the blade? " Well It is stickily by "feel". It will take some getting use to, but I wont go back to bottom feed, I just love that function. I think it is much faster, if you are doing a large cutting or one with a lot of little inside cuts. The top arm will not lower the blade EXACTLY into place in the clamp! But it's not nearly as hard as you'd think it would be. :p

Latest posts

Back