Tools stolen - Just feel like a rant!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday whilst on the way to college my car slid off the road and into the grass verge. I was doing very little speed but never the less got stuck in the grass about a mile from home so decided to walk back for help. My neighbour brought the tractor out an hour later but couldn't hold it on the hill I'd slid on and subsequently decided that he couldn't help. However, my other neighbour was due home soon with his 4x4 and offered to help get my free when he came back. When we finally got to the car the window had been smashed and all my college tools had been removed despite them being locked in the boot and then boot being blocked by the hedge!

Annoyed! Yep!

I am sorry but people like that deserve to be test beds for very rough planes or screwdriver insertion.

That is heartless in the extreme. Check to see whether it is worth adding them to your insurance claim for the broken window...you might get new for old...also check your household insurance

Jim

Very sorry for you - there are some very sick, despicable people around unfortunately?

Rod

The lowest of the low. They are not only stealing your tools but your ability to earn a living.

Hope you get sorted soon and the insurance can help

regards

Brian

Definitely need punishment to the extreme, at least hands off.

Worth checking the car boot sales in your area when weather improves?

Miserable scrotes. Sorry to hear that mate.
May they slice their hands up with one of your chisels.
Si.

mailee":3uzud6qk said:
Sorry to hear this Stig. It just shows that not even the bad weather can put the evil b***ards off. :twisted:

They are like vultures mailee, they keep an eye open for any oportunity and then strike :evil: . They should bring the stocks :twisted: back into law and lock the B****** in the city centre and let all know who they are and what they have done. The lowest of the low in my book.
Cheers

Dave

Hi Stig,

I really feel for you mate.

I can probably help you out, I kitted out an apprentice whilst he was with me on day release from college etc but let me down and ended up leaving to bum around instead!

With that said I would happily send you some basics which you would be welcome to borrow until you can replace them and then you can let me have them back - PM me a basic list of what you really need and I will see what I can do.

Regards

Roger

I contacted the police but they were only interested in coming out if there was blood available for samples. I explained that there were finger prints on a stainless steel case that was in the glovebox but they didn't want to know... an argument with my friends boyfriend (policeman) prevailed, lol.

I contacted the insurance company about the window and they said they'd be out in 6 days to fix it as it had to be ordered in, therefore I scrapped that idea and contacted a guy who lives up the road, he's a glass fitter by trade and did it for £80 despite having ordered the wrong window he cancelled his next appointment and sorted me out as a favour since I live in the middle of nowhere... he even vacuumed my car a second time, you can't complain about service like that especially when AutoGlass were going to take £60 excess off me and stop a years no claims for making a claim. I looked into my insurance, they'll only cover up to £100 per claim on personal belongings unless they're seen as being a part of the car (note to self, must screw tools to dashboard in the future!).

I've managed to order new bank card, loyalty cards, drivers licence, etc. so there all just waiting on the post and thankfully the B*****ds left my RayBan's so they obviously didn't have taste despite taking my Leicestershire Tourist Guide, lol.

Rotten pippers, what have you lost?

I started a list and I've lost the following:

• Tool box (thankfully have spare)
    Irwin tenon saw (college friends sourced one as he works for TP and they apparently throw them away!)
    Irwin jack saw
    Set of chisels and roll
    Mortice chisel
    Wooden Mallet
    Claw hammer
    Pin hammer
    Utility knife
    Pencils (easily replaced)
    Marking gauge
    Set of screwdrivers
    Combination square
    Spirit Level
    Tape measure (sourced another through work)
    Steel ruler
    Prescription safety goggles
    Bib and brace overalls (will go back to wearing my boiler suit)
    Block plane (only purchased last weekend and sharpened on Monday!)
    Jack plane

I'm pretty sure that's it all (list off the top of my head), its funny how you rely on tools being there when you want them but can't name the contents of your tool box, lol. Thankfully, I didn't have any power tools in the boot but then again its frowned upon to use them when your learning and improving your hand tool skills.

The only saving grace is that they left my college folder although stole the Christmas CD that was inside, if I'd have lost that I don't know what I'd have done!

I'd be happy to pay for anything that anyone has going spare so please feel free to PM me.

I walked along the road looking in the ditch and hedgerow to see if anything had been thrown in there as it was clearly just people taking a chance. I'll admit that they did well though because the doors were deadlocked so being a 3-door then had to climb threw the passenger window to pull the seats down and lift my tool box out, which is heavy enough at the best of times (and no I'm not just a wimp!).

Stig

Is it clearly a fingerprint where you can actually see the ridges and not just a glove mark?

Is so and you still have the case that's not been passed about to everyone in Leicestershire, then why not take it to the police and see if they will process the print for you?

Is it clearly a fingerprint where you can actually see the ridges and not just a glove mark?

Is so and you still have the case that's not been passed about to everyone in Leicestershire, then why not take it to the police and see if they will process the print for you?

That's a good idea, I was careful when I picked it up and put it back in the glove box, its as clear as a bell so since I'm heading out that way tonight I think I'll call into the county headquarters and see what they say. I told them that I wasn't happy with how I was dealt with and they've sent me a big old letter about this that and the other so I'll take that with me :)

While this may be of no help to Stig (condolences amigo) , it does bring to mind a strategy I use with tooling taken anywhere in my pickup.
While I believe strongly in buying quality tools (as if I could afford quality),there is a place in this world for base price discount variety stuff. My logic is as follows,I don't take my snap on tools rachet set in my truck,tempting fate is a losing game. Instead I carry (at all times) a cheap set of Canadian Tires rachets and wrenches which I paid 19.95 for. These are tools of low quality , yet if they get me off the side of the road once , they have paid for themselves. Likewise I have a set of the same brands 18 volt power tools (49.95 on special) with drill - driver, circular saw, flashlight and reciprocating saw for breaking down finds from the dump. If someone were to steal these it is small loss And I still have my good tools at home.
Not much help to you Stig , as your tools needed to be good ones for your college work,yet might help someone out there avoid your misfortune in having they're good stuff nicked.

Stig

Put the case in something like an unused food bag, even better if you've got one that seals. Ring up find where your local SOCO are based and take it direct to them. It may cause problems handing it in, in the way you suggest.

Back