Tools insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to see if their is any way to insure my tools when they are in the van but overnight. Nowhere seems to do it unless you have in in a secure compound or locked in a garage , which I can't do :cry: . Can anyone help, as I don't want to be loading and unloading the van all the time that would be a really pain in the buttocks.

Hi Dave,
Sadly, from everything I've ever heard the answer is a resounding "you'll be lucky!!" but I'd be delighted for someone to prove me wrong.

Mark

I have looked several times but to no avail.
the simple answer for me was to put them in the house.
even if i did have insurance I dont think i would risk it,
alot of my tools have centimental value, which money wont replace!

It seems to be as I thought, which is really stupid as most people I know do not have have a garage or one big enough for vans. So it s going to have to be a real pain in the butt and move the most expensive tools out all the time or take the risk and keep them in the van. The only trouble is that could add upto alot of tools, I plan to buy over the coming years. :D

Dave H

I've tried to find insurance for tools in a van but I haven't come up with anything.

I would be interested to hear how people cope with this situation. I try to move my more expensive tools out of the van to the shed overnight, but I'm not sure that it is much safer!! I keep dreaming of a system where I move everything on a trolley in one go, wheel it back out in the morning and straight into the van. It will never happen though, too many tools.

I also thought about locking everything in the van, using something like a vansafe (the lockable yellow boxes) and locking that in the van. That seems a bit cumbersome too and not big enough.

I hate moving tools, especially when its raining. :evil:

rgds

Saint

I use a medium site box bolted in the van (Kangoo). I put the power tools in this and I keep the smaller tools in 2 wheely tool boxes.

The van vault is sooooo heavy I dont think anyone would lift it (just gone touching every piece of wood in the workshop).

The wheely boxes go into the garage overnight.

I must confess that the garage door is 2 inches from the vans back door though...

Marky

work mate got his van broke in to at work on friday,choppy,circular saw,drill,jiggy,and worsrt of all was his hand tools.he was parked on the road outside the site in a affluent area of Knutsford.he had no insurance.was thinking of getting a van myself but not now,there was 3 vehechles parked next to each other,all with belonging to joiners but they only broke into the van the other 2 were cars.i know you lads who dont do site work need a van but i will just keep juggling tools in and out of the car in to the house.

One idea I have toyed with alot would be to get a trailer, that is big enough to house everything, and then hiring a garage nearby.
so its just a simple case of putting the trailer in the garage and then picking it up again in the morning.
I saw it on an american show and it seemed a great idea, the trailer he had was about 8' x 4' floor plan, and about 6 foot tall with wall storage

Latest posts

Back