Tool rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a smaller tool rest to go with my Perform lathe,about 4".
I know Axminster do one but i am not too impressed with the one that came with the lathe.Was a little rough on the edges. :roll:
All i can find are the round bar types.Can you point me in the right direction.
Thank you.
Paul.J.

HI

If you are talking about the rest that comes with the CCSL I agree, I found that I could not hold the tool blade as close to the rest as I like and was loosing some control.

I brought the Sorby system which is round bar and it was a bit strange at first but I soon got used to it and won't use anything else on that size lathe now.

The only real problem I found with the system is that the stems are too long and snag on the banjo tightening bar. So I used a metal cutting blade in a 4" angle grinder and cut a bit off of it and then beveled it on the bench grinder and it now works perfectly.

I have not been able to find any other rests with the right size stem to fit this lathe.

john

I was thinking of going for the Sorby ones. I like the idea of being able tp quick change the top to suit. I've got a CCL and find the rest too big for a lot of things. Also the bit that the rest goes into (don't know the proper name) sticks out a lot and I'm forever having to juggle it around to try and get at some parts of the job.

Pete

The Sorby system gets my vote.

I just couldn't get comfortable with the angled 'thing' supplied (Record). And it seemed like I could cause a nick within 5 minutes of a careful edge regrind - grrr!

The round bar still needs some surface cleaning periodically, as the stickier bits of debris do adhere, but no nicks in getting on for a years usage now.

Hi Paul J
I bought an axminster one for my M330... not the exactly the same as the perform one but... cheap enough to cut down to the size you want.
I bought a longer one and cut down the original :wink:

The Sorby round bar modular sydtem is versatile but does take a little getting used to... there again they all do :lol:

Russel's suggestion is a good one... if you know anyone capable of simple welding and access to round bar and flat plate, get them to make up one to your design... just so happens that I have a friend currently making up three for me :wink:

i have a few differeny types, all of them dirt cheap, 1" tube, with 3" welded bar for the banjo, get some scrap and go see a welder, should get ten different sizes/ couple of S shapes for £20,like JPT says once you get usedto them theyre great./you can spray paint them any colour you want, ive got a record lathe so brittish racing green works a treat, :eek:ccasion5:

Thanks for the replies.
I just thought there might have been more choice out there :roll:
I do know someone who does welding so i might ask,if not then it looks like the round bar.
Paul.J.

If you use tube for the stem make sure it has a thick wall otherwise the locking pin will dent it... solid round bar is preferable

Paul

Just weld a piece of 10mm flat mild steel of the length you want at 45 degrees on a bar which suits your banjo.

Thanks Graham/Mark.
Had a thought about using the bar type :idea: :shock:
Would it be as comfortable to use as would the normal rest.
I noticed today that i tend to rest the back of my hand/fingers on the normal rest,this i doubt you could do with just a piece of round bar. :?
What do you think. :?:
Paul.J.

i have one similar to the record 180. and use it as an arm rest,your minds the limit, some times i use the bed bar itself, if im turning stuff 8" thick and 20" long,(id have to e mail the pickies though, i cant use the photo effigy on this site,

Paul.J":84cxb63n said:
Would it be as comfortable to use as would the normal rest.
I noticed today that i tend to rest the back of my hand/fingers on the normal rest,this i doubt you could do with just a piece of round bar. :?
What do you think. :?:
Paul.J.

Whichever type of rest you use it's essential (imo) to have the left hand in contact with the bevel (unless you're left handed :wink: ) this gives you a stable 'platform'... 2 feet in contact with the ground and one hand in contact with the lathe through the toolrest...

I use several designs of tool rest... can't show you at the moment 'cos me favourite one is away having a different stem welded on... some are more comfortable than others but they all work :wink:

Some turners rest their hand on the front as you do, some curl their fingers up and under... 4 eggs, if I'm turning a bobbin then it's essential to use a finger as a support steady. If I'm doing a demo I have to have the fingers under otherwise it would obscure the view.

do whatever makes you feel comfortable ... that said be flexible and develop the ability to use any of the different designs you may have.

Joekid post some pix as soon as you can... I'm going into worry mode from your written description :shock:

I am glad someone asked this question as I have been thinking of replacing my toolrest ( Elu DB 180 ) and the toolrest is not the best, plus it is off set.

Can some of you post pic's of yours :shock: ( toolrest only please :wink: )

_________You don't have to have a welding kit to make a rest, although a metal lathe can be a help for the stem.

_________ _________ ___click on images for larger view

________This is the start of a modular set I am doing to suit how I work. A couple of 6mm CSK Socket Head screws seem to be adequate for rigidity.

Colin,almost forgot.
Took this today of my rest and only noticed today the shape of it :shock:
Should it be like this :?: I'm sure the one on my Record was straight :?

Paul.J.

Hi Paul

At lest your one is more usable than the one on my Elu ( I will take a pic to show what I mean )

Colin C":1atzfx4g said:
Chas

Thanks and was it you that had some more on your web site :-k :)

You might be thinking of this site Colin, I linked to it in a post, there are several rests detailed, some specifically here.

Back