Tool for jointing oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom B

Reaction score
Hello,
Apologies if this question has been asked previously, which I'm sure it has, but could anyone give me some advice on best tools to buy to joint oak board for creating surfaces.
I have my eye on the Metabo HC260C 240 V Planer/Thicknesser which looks like a great bit of kit but unsure if it will handle hardwoods well. The thicknesser would be a bonus too!
I'm a little short of space so wouldn't be able to handle anything too large and of course cost is a consideration.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hi - I have one of these and it copes just fine with oak (European - never tried US white/red/whetever) . Cheers, W2S

PS My favourite tool - if there's not too much to do - is a No 7 hand plane...

PPS If you get a machine like the Metabo, you also need to get a chip extractor (more cost/space/electrons)

Tom,
as long as you don't try to take off too much at one go the Metabo will have no problem with oak.

It is a lovely machine and whilst I don't own it, I have a Kity P/T, I did buy the Metabo DH330 bench top thicknesser last month. It leaves a superb finish on oak and I am sure that the HC260 will be the same.

Both machines are based on Elektra Beckum designs, my DH330 is a direct descendant of the EB one I had years ago when it was made in West Germany. My new one is made in Taiwan and is built to the same high standard.

Had a similar cloned model for 15 years from new,only thing ever to go wrong was a blown capacitor (a simple cheap fix),
That poor machine had more than its fair share of abuse in respect of what i asked it to do and never let me down.

Back