Tool agony - only look at this if you have a strong stomach!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my favourite tools:-

Stanley 5 1/2 - lovingly tuned on a DC course 2 years ago - it took <1 thou shavings with ease.

LN 60 1/2 Block - also a wondeful tool

LN 73 - vitually unused

Record #7 - though not as well tuned as the 5 1/2 a great jointer

Blade and Chipbreaker (LN) from a #8 (Stanley)

P6010170.jpg

P6010171.jpg

We had a leak in the garage roof last weekend and I din't find out until today. I was just going to assemble my tools for a DC dovetailing course that starts on Monday.

DC has kindly said he'll loan me a plane and that I can use his flattening setup in the evenings to get the 5 1/2 back to normal.

I haven't cried or kicked the cat. I must be growing up :wink:

Ha , i see SWMBO caught you putting those rusty tools on the floor and got the news paper out . Sorry to see the tools like that , myself i would have kicked the cat .The fella on the news paper looks gutted .

That is one very awfull sight i would be mortified. Its takes so long to accumilate then they get damaged in days.
Owen

:cry: :cry:

I am really gutted for you and I think if that happened to my tool I would have to go for a very long walk before I had charmed down ( some where like Scotland )

I hope you get them but to working order and it does not take to much time :(

Phil, you might want to consider removing the rust electrically.

Google for electrolytic rust removal.

All you need is a car battery charger and a bath of washing soda solution. It really does work

This wont put metal back where rust has formed but it will take the rust off without removing good metal so you should get rid of the the high spots of rust.

Good Luck

Bob

Waka,

The planes have been sitting in a puddle - some were in therir socks ! But even I am wondering if it can really have happened in 1 just week. I have a square that you can actually see the print of the rain drops on. Actually you can see it on the #8 blade too.

I've been back over the past few weeks and I know I didn't go in the garage last weekend because it was hammering with rain all weekend and I'd been away in the week chair making. I'm pretty sure I went into the garage the weekend before that to show my mum what I'm working on. The week before that I was working in Aberdeen. The preceeding w/e was he last time I did some woodworking. But, I can't remember it raining other than last weekend.

I've started cleaning the planes up and they'll be alright I'm sure.

bad luck phil, that really does not look like one days rust though, or even a weekend. wonder whether the socks were damp before, and the rain just made it worse??? :? :cry:

next time you need to wax the soles and the sides before you put them away i guess :?

hope th e course with dc brings some of it back to life

paul :wink:

Phil,
Bad luck indeed. If really only 1 week's damage, it should clean up pretty easily and there should be no pitting.

Please give us your feedback on the course when you are back!

waterhead37":e69by0sy said:
Phil,
Bad luck indeed. If really only 1 week's damage, it should clean up pretty easily and there should be no pitting.
My very thought - should be what I call "clean" rust. You know how eskimos are supposed to have all those names for snow, well this galoot has the same range of vocabulary for rust...

Jolly bad luck though, Phil. Bit of a tool storage re-think on the cards I imagine. :(

Cheers, Alf

Phill - that's a tragedy but as Alf has said it's more than likely to be very superficial and the rusticles won't have (hopefully) munched too far into the metal so it should be relatively easy to get the tools looking pristine again....recommend that all surfaces are mirror polished to 1000g....just reaching for the door knob :lol: :lol: - Rob

Back