Tool agony - only look at this if you have a strong stomach!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry to see what has happened to your lovely planes! Hopefully though, it'll clean up fine.

You mentioned that you had left them in their socks and that they'd been sat in a puddle. Can I ask where you usually store them when not in use?

Olly,

As I'm still building my tool cabinet, my planes sit on a bench - mostly in their socks. Sadly the torrential rain last weekend penetrated the roof and soaked the socks.

Must speed up the tool cabinet.

Anyway - cleaned all the rust off and I don't think there is any lasting damage - just some staining rather than pitting. I will need to reflatten the soles I guess.

phil, glad you got the most off, how did you do it, because that will depend upon whether you really need to re-flatten the sole.

if it is only one weekends' worth of rust then it should not have pitted too much, and thus the sole will should not have moved too much.

the thing about the socks is that they will absorb the moisture, and keep damp for a longer time. :cry:

maybe you should check out some motorcycle or veteran car products for rust prevention. there is a product called i think waxoyl, or the dinitrol range, and i believe that you can still get jenolite to remove the rust.

if your workshop is so wet, then you need to ensure that the tool cabinet has some rust preventative facility inside. axminster do sell quite a number of products and of course silicon bags help remove some moisture.

look forward to seeing the tools in the cabinet. :lol:

paul :wink:

Oh man, I've only just seen this thread and that must have been an awful shock, Good Surname or what. If I had tools of that calibre and that happened to me I wouldn't kick the dog - too much of a softy when it comes to animals :lol: - but I'd have to go for a drive or something to cool down. Hope everything cleans up reasonably.

Although this is probably the last thing you want to talk about I couldn't help but notice that you've fitted some Lie Nielsen blades and chip breakers to your Stanleys/Records. Were you able to fit these without having to alter the position of the slot for the depth lever on the chip breaker? It's just that I've been considering a LN blade/chip breaker combi for some old Stanleys and Records but have been put off by conflicting accounts of whether the CB is compatible with the older planes or not.

Of course, I realise that the depth lever has to be lengthened and the mouth opened a bit for the thicker blade but it's this slot in the CB that seems to be the problem.

Woden wrote:
It's just that I've been considering a LN blade/chip breaker combi for some old Stanleys and Records but have been put off by conflicting accounts of whether the CB is compatible with the older planes or not.
LN blades will fit older Record or Stanley planes but the new style CB's if ordered from Axminster will not, they are only designed to fit LN planes. If a thicker blade is used the mouth will need to be opened a fraction - Rob

woodbloke":7kpmak1w said:
Woden wrote:
It's just that I've been considering a LN blade/chip breaker combi for some old Stanleys and Records but have been put off by conflicting accounts of whether the CB is compatible with the older planes or not.
LN blades will fit older Record or Stanley planes but the new style CB's if ordered from Axminster will not, they are only designed to fit LN planes. If a thicker blade is used the mouth will need to be opened a fraction - Rob

Noit always Rob

I have recently fitted LN blades from the #5.5 into a record #6 (vey old) and a much newer Stanley #6.

The LN blade and chipbreaker fitted straight into the Stanley with no modifications and only the frog moved back on its adjusters.

For the record, with the original chipbreaker and the LN blade, I had to file nearly 2mm off the front of the mouth to get the thing to fit. Worth it in the end though as the plane works very nicely with its new blade :wink:

Tony - agreed, the mouths will almost always have to be filed out to fit a thicker blade.
I tried to fit a LN blade and new style chipbreaker from Axminster into my old Record T5 about three years ago and came up against the same problem..blade would fit with some filing of the mouth but the chipbreaker was a no hoper as the slot was in the wrong place - Rob

So you've had no luck Rob but it has worked for Tony, Good Surname or what? and presumably David Charlesworth as he recommends this combination to his students. It seems to be a bit hit and miss, though more hit than miss at this stage. I wonder does the age of the plane and therefore the type of frog casting come into play here. I'm looking at some quite old Stanleys (pre WW2) and I wonder would these be compatible.

I wonder would Axminster take the CBs back if I if I ordered some and they didn't fit? Who else supplies LN CBs in the UK? I suppose the other alternative, if it's still going to be a LN blade, is to buy a Hock or Victor CB. But I don't like the look - I know, I know, it's only a tool - of the former and think the latter's a bit fiddly. :?

woden":229egc5j said:
So you've had no luck Rob but it has worked for Tony, Good Surname or what? and presumably David Charlesworth as he recommends this combination to his students. It seems to be a bit hit and miss, though more hit than miss at this stage. I wonder does the age of the plane and therefore the type of frog casting come into play here. I'm looking at some quite old Stanleys (pre WW2) and I wonder would these be compatible.

I wonder would Axminster take the CBs back if I if I ordered some and they didn't fit? Who else supplies LN CBs in the UK? I suppose the other alternative, if it's still going to be a LN blade, is to buy a Hock or Victor CB. But I don't like the look - I know, I know, it's only a tool - of the former and think the latter's a bit fiddly. :?

I think I might be inclined to go somewhere that sells the LN blade and CB with the planes and offer them up in the shop, at least then you'll be able to see if the thing's going to fit. Others have said that LN do a blade/CB combination specifically for Record and Stanley planes but I don't know where these can be purchased....the blade is slightly thinner than the standard one - Rob

If they do a CB specifically for Record/Stanley planes I could combine this with the full thickness blade that requires the mouth to be opened, etc. Do you know if this altered CB is as thick as their regular one? The only thing is I've looked on the Lie Nielsen web site and haven't found anything about a CB for non LN planes.

woden":3kug6a06 said:
If they do a CB specifically for Record/Stanley planes I could combine this with the full thickness blade that requires the mouth to be opened, etc. Do you know if this altered CB is as thick as their regular one? The only thing is I've looked on the Lie Nielsen web site and haven't found anything about a CB for non LN planes.
This is quite a confusing issue, as far as I'm aware there isn't anything on the LN site about replacement blades for Records etc. I don't know how thick the altered CB is either, sorry. Others tho' on the forum have said these replacement blades are available but I don't know where to get them from. On my 'fetish fettled' (Alfism :lol:) Record No4 I've just done I've fitted the 3.1mm Victor blade and two piece CB, (as fitted in Clifton planes) from Axminster that drops straight in with just the merest fraction filed off the mouth to fit - Rob

woden":39ax9d0j said:
The only thing is I've looked on the Lie Nielsen web site and haven't found anything about a CB for non LN planes.

Might be best to email LN as this seems to be a bit of a mystery :? :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

i wonder whether a great deal of the problem is that the y piece is so different on the different planes.

from my 3 different items, a bailey 41/2, a record 4 and a stanley handyman, the y pieces are all different and seem to pivot in different places, early ones have a one piece casting whilst later ones seem pressed metal and are i would guess less strong.

paul :wink:

engineer one":qng51brk said:
i wonder whether a great deal of the problem is that the y piece is so different on the different planes.

I think the problem is more about the position of the slot on the cap irons. If you look at the pictures on this thread you will see that there is a significant difference in their positions https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=16827

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Rob, this is the page on the Lie Nielsen site where they list their replacement blades for Stanleys/Records. They say at the bottom, however, that they are thinner than what goes into the LN planes. The blade for a S/R 4 1/2 is 0.095" thick whereas their blades for the LN equivalent are 0.140" thick. The latter apparently equates to 3.75 mm.

However, I still can't see anything about different CBs for Stanleys, etc.

Paul Chapman":1xhavwsa said:
Might be best to email LN as this seems to be a bit of a mystery
I think I might just do that, Paul. It'll be interesting to read their take on the situation.

Woden wrote:
However, I still can't see anything about different CBs for Stanleys, etc.
From reading the stuff on the LN page you may be right, I fancy the LN blade may well be fitted with the original Record or Stanley chipbreaker - Rob

Back