Took The Plunge :D Getting All Excited...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

Reaction score
Well been looking about here and places for a while now at woodworking and wood turning in general, I have not much experience in these but I've always loved how once you practice and gain knowledge and skill you can create something amazing.

I only got something basic to play around with, but with time/skill when i eventually outgrow this gem then I will upgrade to something which will suit my needs at a later date.

DML36SH-CAM Swivel Head 4 Speed Intermediate Lathe
DML/24S Leg stand for DML36SH
DML-BR Bowl Turning Attachment for DML36SH
CWA180 Tubular Curved Tool Rest for Bowl Turning

I know nothing about woodturning or whats needs to get started but the first thing i need is some tools to turn the wood :p but something I'm not to clued up on is Chucks.....

Do i need a chuck?? what chucks are available for this model?? Do i need certain chucks to do certain turning like bowls? goblets? cups? etc etc....

Any tips advice etc would be much welcome :D.

How you know when the belt and bearings need replacing? Any part of the lathe should be greased? What with and how often?

Thanks in advance

A scroll chuck is not a necessity, it just makes some jobs much easier. I did lots of turning using faceplates with glue chucks, screw chucks and jam chucks. You need to get inventive, and can sometimes spend as long finding how to hold the work as working it.
It definitely helps as time goes on though when you need to reverse chuck something, and you already have a vast array of mounting methods to hand.

Is it my understanding that the DML36SH is a Thread: 3/4" x 16 TPI which is the same throughout all the record range until you get to the professional range, so what ever chucks/accessories I purchased if I did decide to upgrade in a year or 2 to a cl3/cl4 wouldn't need replacing?

So lots of reading, youtube videos and turning tools to start then chucks as i go along :D, my main interest atm is stuff like bowls/cups/goblets/tool handles etc.

Thanks Tazman

P.S. found all the stickies :D Next week will have many headaches from reading but will be well worth it.

Anything you are not sure about just search these forums or create a post with your question. These people are great and more than willing to offer help and advice.
At least you got a lathe with a standard spindle thread.

I too am only a beginner but the best advice I was given was practice spindle turning first until you are comfortable. Chucks are maybe something to leave until you are certain you like it as they are expensive. Also get the best chisels you can afford as it will pay in the long run.

Yes thanks I'll wait for a chuck as I've just been watching them stickies on turning bowls without chuck and looks like anything possible with a bit of thought and planning :D.

What are the basic tools I'll need to get started?? Because there are soooo many different types/sizes etc.

I was advised to get a Skew chisel, spindle gouge, parting tool, bowl gouge and maybe a roughing gouge and a couple of scrapers. As you say there is an abundance of tools. I would not suggest looking at specialty tools like multi carbide tip tools until you are certain you like it. There are basic sets on sale which will give you the essential ones but as mentioned before get the best you can afford.

Yes agree about dust extraction, it is a subject all of its own. As for chisels you can not go far wrong with the Robert sorby Set and then buy as you need from there. I have a set and have used all of them so none go to waste.

Yes dust extraction will be a problem, atm we are in middle of building a new workshop as other one was of poor construction :p. Until this is built i doubt i can do any lathe work, maybe i can but definitely not any extraction which means uncomfortable face masks until extraction is on the cards.

Thanks for heads up about the robert sorby set i will check them out, might get me a face plate tho as they seem cheaper than chucks but the question is 4" or 6" face plate?

Thanks Guys much appreciated.

Hi

I'd advise you getting the 6" faceplate - also get some 18mm MDF, its ideal for making glue and jam chucks.

Basic tooling - I started with the Sorby basic six tool set and have never regretted it - all of the tools are in regular use, they are still my most used six tools.

I'd get a copy of 'The Bible' - 'Woodturning: A Foundation Course' by Keith Rowley and read it cover to cover.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... ers+course

You'll also need a method of keeping your tools sharp, this will depend on personal choice and the depth of your pocket - U Tube is full of videos showing people demonstrating numerous methods - pick a few you like the look of then ask on here.

Regards Mick

Thanks Spindle.

Great information to get me started, all this reading and no play is like a kid on christmas eve waiting for christmas morning to come :D.
I was going to start looking for some books for woodturning and woodworking in general.

Lathe sitting in corner waiting for me to finish this shed/workshop.

Thanks

If you are going to buy some books get "Woodturning A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley well worth a read many woodturners I have encountered on various site recommend it as the go to book when starting

I like Ashley Isles, and they're a bit cheaper than Sorby. Agree that a sharpening system is as important as the tools. A buffing arrangement too.

Latest posts

Back