Tonight's effort...big lump of maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Had fun tonight with a very wet piece of maple that needed some serious truing up...
7edad54266d529bc3405de51fe8c4703.jpg
7667e515bba9fd45901e19f17578237b.jpg
a225a86b9b3e8ab906b92ceda9053fc4.jpg
045291dae407168e0eb25b1abfe0d079.jpg
14afed2fb0761361c87adfbaec399b7d.jpg

Left thick for drying...

A fun evening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of concentration and white knuckles I suspect getting that round Stewart.

If I was you I would put it back on the machine and endeavour to get the rough blank a more even wall thickness throughout, you still have a very solid lower portion and thin rim, the drying rate will be very unbalanced.

Also get that outer surface covered as soon as possible after taking off lathe, either several layers of newspaper or cling film. This is how I do it and then store them upside down on an open wire rack, suits my drying location and humidity.

To wrap I put the bowl face down so to speak and wrap the paper over the curved base and fix with masking tape, then cut out central disc.
DSC02354.JPG

adidat":38ebx75s said:
Looks very cool!

What lathe is that? But of a beast!

Adidat

Hi -it's a Wivamac DB1000 - and it's lovely!

Chas - thanks for the tips - will do as you suggest later today. There weren't too many white knuckle moments as I turned it very slowly until the balance was much better - the joys of electronic variable speed.

Another method that's been mentioned to me for drying the rough turned bowls is to put them in plastic bags and turn the bag inside out every day or two - might be ok with a few bowls but sounds a bit of a chore with more than a few...

stewart":da11i4kw said:
Another method that's been mentioned to me for drying the rough turned bowls is to put them in plastic bags and turn the bag inside out every day or two - might be ok with a few bowls but sounds a bit of a chore with more than a few...

Paper sacks (potato sacks) are better as they breathe, Plastic you have to be very alert to removing collected moisture each day to avoid mould forming. Your maple may be rich in natural sugars, so a good breading ground.

Reason for enclosing is to attempt to keep all surfaces at the same humidity level, in other words produce a micro climate so that moisture on one surface does not evaporate quicker than another.

Back