Tom's Tool Chest - Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic! I especially like your knob..s ;) Well done Malcolm. He is indeed a great turner.

You can be dead proud of that Tom. It's really nice....and I really should do something about my tool storage as my current arrangement is shocking.

WoodAddict":2t4sjzra said:
Nicely finished Tom! The knobs look great. How long will the drawers stay that tidy if you don't put the compartments in? :)

Not long! I tidied them especially for the photos, and they could use a good hoover too :)

hi

you have put a lot of time and effort in to making this cabinet, i love the drawers and tiny little knobs, good contrast colour wise , that was a nice touch the drawer with no bottom as well , but, please get rid of that crappy piece of chip board underneath it and build a proper plinth to sit it on, it's that finishing touch to it . its really well done don't spoil it .hc :D

head clansman":1p7qr99s said:
please get rid of that crappy piece of chip board underneath it and build a proper plinth to sit it on, it's that finishing touch to it . its really well done don't spoil it .hc :D

The plan is actually to build a workbench to house it, but you're right, everything else is looking decidedly shabby by comparison now

Great job. The handles finish it off really well.

Makes me feel guilty for keeping my tools in a broken old plastic tool box.

That looks fantastic! =D> Plenty of tools but still plenty of space to fill! :D :wink:

That finish looks good too. Is it from the General Finishes range?

OPJ":2i29yynn said:
That finish looks good too. Is it from the General Finishes range?

No, it's this stuff:
_98288_195642.jpg

As is, it's pretty gloopy, so combine that with my rubbish technique and I was never really happy with it.

For the chest, I thinned it 50/50, gave it about 3 coats, cut back, then gave it 2 more coats of 70/30.

Each coat was applied with kitchen roll (being careful to chuck it before it started disintegrating). I'm definitely a convert to this finish for pieces which will take some abuse, and the best bit is that you don't need to wash any brushes :)

Nice to see it finished Tom. Great work well done. One small comment loose the pozi screws on the side of the marking gauge draw and replace with slotted brass ones. :D

Back