Tom's Tool Chest - Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I fitted all of the drawer fronts from some figured maple. I didn't quiet manage to get it all in one flowing bookmatched series, but I'm happy with the compromise:

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

And here's another one, because I know you're all worried about my stickers:

IMG_3117.jpg

I think you'd done very well to get the grain match you've achieved with those drawer fronts - absolutely stunning! 8)

Hope the handles/pulls are fairly small and won't draw too much attention away from the figured maple... :)

Cheers for the comments lads :)

The drawer pulls are now starting to worry me - I want something subtle, but interesting. Maybe something with a bit of a curve to it...

I went searching for inspiration and came across this:

birds-eye,one-drawer.jpg

It's not bad, but I'm sure I've seen better somewhere, can anyone help me out? Have you seen a truly brilliant but understated drawer pull somewhere?

I'm going to use that style of knob\handle on my jewellery box. The recess is made with a biscuit jointer.

I don't think round knobs will look out of place on this cabinet. I'd definitely keep it wood. Brass or steel wouldn't look right IMO.

It look great BTW. :D

I feel curved pulls may be a bit overpowering as the fronts are so nice.

I would consider small black buttons in keeping with the delicate line you already have.

Looks really in proportion at present, I really like it.

Mick

MickCheese":1vmk1pbs said:
I feel curved pulls may be a bit overpowering as the fronts are so nice.

I would consider small black buttons in keeping with the delicate line you already have.

Mick

Good idea - the only problem is I flogged my lathe a few weeks ago due to being a rubbish turner :oops:

Normally I'd offer, but I'm not healthy enough to get them to you any time soon. I have no idea what someone like Richard Findlay would charge you. Would be worth a PM as this is his bread and butter. He's a bit good, as they say ;)

Yeah, I love Waka's tool chest. It's properly inspirational and I think the handles are just right.

If there are any turners out there who could to do me a big favour then send me a pm :)

If Wellswood is looking in, he has made some nice pulls on his cabinet. They are brass pulls that he made from flat sheet stock. I can't find an example online and explaining them is a bit hard. Maybe a pic Mark? Despite saying Brass wouldn't look right on this cabinet, his design probably would.

I wonder if even more minimal knobs than Waka's would work better. Just because the proportions of the draws are smaller with less depth.

I liked gasman's ebony handles on his recent writing desk

4366836463_11ffe5022f.jpg

EDIT forgot to add... looks great!

I've been catching up on posts since I got back and have to say I really like the tool chest, I kind of wish I'd done my drawers like yours but its a bit late now.

regarding the knobs, TEP on the turning forum did mine for me, he did a fantastic job, I'm sure if you approach him he'll be able to help.

Given the layout of the drawers I'm wondering what it will look like with handles? From the angles of the shots I can't spot any obvious lines (either in-line or planned "random"). Will you use single or double handles for the wide drawers? If it were me I'd be tempted to not have handles at all and try and use some for of push release (i.e. where you nudge the drawer in and it pops out enough to be gripped and pulled out). Maybe too late for push release? Maybe too heavy with tools in each drawer?

I do really like the idea of a push to open mechanism, but I'm not sure the hardware exists to do it in the space I've got available.

I think I'll go with the turned knobs - I made a post over in the turning forum asking for a friendly turner to make some for me.

Right, firstly, apologies for the lack of updates. For some reason, the last bit of a project always goes slowly for me, but anyway, it's finished!

After appealing for help on the round forum, Maltrout512 very kindly agreed to turn me the knobs from african blackwood. I have to give him full credit here - he's a top bloke and an outstanding craftsman and I was absolutely tickled pink with what he made for me. They're tapered in diameter from 18mm down to 6mm at the top, and the projection out from the cabinet gradually gets smaller also.

On his recommendation, the really small ones are attached using brads superglued in.

The finish is wiped on poly. I was hesitant to use it at first because I was afraid it would yellow the maple too much, but in the end I'm pretty pleased. Thinning it and applying lots of light coats with lots of cutting back in between gave me a finish which doesn't feel like plastic (as I've found in the past). I think I'll be using this technique again in future projects.

Anyway, without further rambling, here is the final result:

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Now a quick tour of the contents (which I'm still changing my mind about)

IMG_3149.jpg

Note the room for expansion ;):
IMG_3150.jpg

Here is my solution for holding my tite mark:

IMG_3152.jpg

There was only a millimeter of clearance in the opening - I guess thats the price you pay for being a software engineer - always looking to make the most out of every resource:

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

This drawer is especially for my secret santa last christmas, I though his kind gifts deserved a nice home (and I'm ashamed to say that until now they've been sitting on a dusty shelf...sorry :whistle: )

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

This is what happened when I complained to the Mrs that I could never find a pencil:
IMG_3163.jpg

The smallest drawer (which some people were interested in) contains assorted little bits and pieces:
IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

And pointy things:

IMG_3171.jpg

Finally, here's a closeup of one of the knobs - thanks again Malcolm :D

IMG_3173.jpg

I actually lied about it being finished - I think I should make little holders for each of the drawers to keep stuff from rolling around, but at least everything has a home now.

I hope you approve of the final result,
Cheers
-Tom

Back