To split,or not to split??That is the question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just started reading Turning Green Wood recently,i came to the section about storing your logs,and the book recommends the logs to be "left in the round" as splitting will make the timber dry out too quick.
Is this correct as i have been splitting my logs for storage,and then cutting to round blanks,and then part turning ready for finishing. :?:
Paul.J. :? :?

Thanks Russell.
I asked the question because i did read somewhere on the net that it was best to leave your logs in the round with the bark on,but couldn't find it again. :roll:
So when i started reading books etc on turning they all suggested splitting the logs asap.So just still wondered :shock:
Paul.J.

I tend to find that logs up to 5 or 6 inch in fruit wood need splitting. I leave Yew in the round and larger diameters I turn after 6 months with splitting and part turn to dry later. I store most of the timber in the area under the house its about 3 - 4 ft high and well ventilated and dry. access from the gas meter cupboard. Its a bit of a pain moving things around I need to put a light in there but its great for my timber air drying.

If in doubt split them, it de-tensions the wood and allows it to move as it drys without bieng rendered unuseable with the splits you will get from the central pith otherwise.

Cheers, Paul (who has spent the day doing just that to a batch of beech and sweet chestnut......!) :D

Hi Paul.

Split them if they are bigger than 4 - 5 inches. Don't forget that book your reading is 'Turning Green Wood' which is exactly as it says.

Normally you would sort the logs out, then when needed split through the middle, then the middle, and again the middle, effectively cleaving the logs down to whatever size you require. Usually these would be used for spindle work.

Wet hollowing, or bowl turning, is a bit different, as you part turn them you help relieve the stresses anyway.

Either way you need to get the stresses out of the wood or it will split where you least want it.

Good luck.

PaulJ, if there is the slightest hint of star splitting in the core then I personally would say split along the biggest split line.

I think it is a matter of personal experience in the main, many things affect the wood stability, like the time of year, diameter of log, stresses already in that particular growing tree, species, your storage conditions etc.

If you can spare to loose a couple of pieces try differing methods, leave alone, split and leave to dry, rough turn, see which gives you most consistent salvage percentage.

The Laburnum I collected was core splitting by the time I got home, less than two hours after sawing to length so I immediately slapped some paint on ends of large logs.

I chain sawed to length and split (on bandsaw) and blanked them yesterday and stored overnight in plastic bags to avoid having to wax them.
Rough turning green today and tomorrow, no sign of further splitting, small diameter stuff (1.4 mtr long pieces) is end waxed and stored outside to see what happens with what should be slower drying.

Back