Titebond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just looked on Axy's E mail at the prices of Titebond - £10.99 for 473mm :shock:
Very good stuff it might be, but why pay that money when there are alternatives that are perfectly good for well less than half the price?
My most used is Everbuild D4, but I'm sure there are many others.

phil.p":v2zhsywa said:
I've just looked on Axy's E mail at the prices of Titebond - £10.99 for 473mm :shock:
Very good stuff it might be, but why pay that money when there are alternatives that are perfectly good for well less than half the price?
My most used is Everbuild D4, but I'm sure there are many others.

i also use the everbuild d4, due to the price of titebond. it seems to do just as good a job.

I've been using the PinkGrip D4 which I believe is the same as the Everbuild (seeing as PinkGrip is an Everbuild trademark). I have to say it's fantastic stuff, I pay just over £5 for a litre bottle.

One thing though. If you leave it too long in the bottle, being a hybrid mix of various things, it does tend to separate.

phil.p":wlu0cgem said:

The fact that Axminster want to charge over double the price I can buy the same size bottle of Titebond for is not the fault of Titebond.
I`ve used the Titebond brand for years without a single complaint & find it equally as cost effective as any other branded glue.

Axminster`s pricing policy on the other hand is a completely different story, needles to say my purchases from them are few & far between these days.

Regards.

dj.

Edit, I took it your post referred to a single bottle of Titebond original, I think the price you quoted was a 2 bottle deal as I`ve just seen their offers. On a like for like comparison on a 16oz bottle of original they are £1.70 more expensive, still a not inconsiderable amount on one small bottle.

You get what you pay for in my opinion - have been using Titebond original for years - never had a joint failure, quick grab and easy clean up - gets my vote but each to their own

Dodge":3isflzht said:
You get what you pay for in my opinion - have been using Titebond original for years - never had a joint failure, quick grab and easy clean up - gets my vote but each to their own
I've no doubts whatsoever about the quality I just wonder why people pay the money for it. I know there are scores of places that sell it, but it's still expensive.

Basically I use it because I trust it, it does what I need of it and most importantly I like it.

It's the client that pays for it anyway...

I use Titebond original for all my work (mostly oak) and I like the quick 'grab' time. Allows me to glue up more per day.

Is there a low temperature version ?

Glue interests me a lot. I was shown a beautiful laburnum pencil case today by a furniture expert. It had an inscription inside the top saying that it was made in 1807. Across the end of one the sliding top was a piece of moulding, glued at right angles to the grain of the top. Any user would have pulled on the moulding to open the lid and yet the joint was perfectly in tact, and there was no evidence of repairs, rather the opposite. I suspect it was animal glue originally. Makes you think.

Back