Tips for a perfect varnish finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWingwang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i usually finish with oil or wax as it's quick and easy. Whenever i use varnish i struggle to get a good end result (never smooth and shiny, more uneven and prickly!).
I've just bough an HVLP spray system and the results aren't much better than my brush attempts.
I'm using two coats of "polyurethane"?
Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you use those Festool things for varnish too?
I've seen them before, but to me they seem like a solution to a problem that never existed. Apparently they're more ecomonical than a brush or cloth, but considering the price i think it'd take a while before i saw any saving. How long do the pads last?
Maybe they're useful if you don't like oily hands!

they apply better than an oiled rag and its a much cleaner process.

the pads last a while too. What application do you need to us the varnish for?

are you trying to spray the varnish?? what spray system do you have?

I will point you in the right direction if you like?

Only ever applied it with a brush, but got pretty reasonable results (amateur use, not pro). The big problem was always dust getting into it. If you sand between coats (and wipe away the dust with a rag and white spirit) then the only appreciable dust tends to be that in the top coat. The ideal thickness of application is such that after a while the varnish runs into its own (small) brush marks to leave a mar-free surface. Varnish used was one pack PU yacht varnish.

Long job, though, and may be too slow for pro use.

Yacht and boat varnishwork is what I do daily - but then advise the customer to keep as much sunlight off it as possible, touch in any damage immediately, never put anything hot on it.... I think you may be getting the picture. For my kitchen worktops at home I used a Ronseal quick drying floor varnish 9 years ago - it has stood the test of time perfectly and was quick and easy to apply. If you want hints on a perfect varnish finish then I can help but I don't think yacht varnish would be a suitable finish for this job.

Graham

Latest posts

Back