Best finish for table tops?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often hand apply finishes. I would suggest that a base of shellac french polished on (even if the process is not finished - as in, you apply the french polish to the level of thickness or pore filling that you want) and then diluted polyurethane will look wonderful. polyurethane by itself will look a bit lifeless. The point of the french polish process is that the oil used to rub the shellac on will allow you to make a mark-free finish as a base with nothing more than a cheap shirt scrap.

If you find the solvent that's in the polyurethane (probably something common), or use a compatible solvent to thin it, you can wipe that thinly over the built up shellac for water/other resistance that shellac doesn't have. Dilution should help it lay out / dry fairly flat without any significant marks.

many years ago I refinished some mouseman furniture. on enquiring which finish they used. they said ronseal satin varnish on the table tops and wax on the legs.simple

Back