Tiny Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a router plane for ages, but never felt like paying the prices i've seen advertised, or what they fetch on ebay, so with the help of ALF (thanks for the hardware) and a bargan B&Q Grinder and Allen Key set, i've managed to knock up a wee-router myself!

Made out of rosewood - which was originally prepared for a guitar fretboard, and given a single coat of oil:

403602607_98452f0135.jpg

403602606_81189e2d34.jpg

403602602_9cdb95031a.jpg

It was a fun project, and of course you get that nice completed feeling, which for me is rare, as so many projects are on-going on never-get-going.

BB

That really looks supurb, you realise not so long ago (can't remeber myself) they uesed to make all there own tools as apprentices.

I hope you'll give us some pic's of the cutting action?

BB - clever to use an allen key as the cutter - would never have thought of that....did you have to heat treat and temper the cutting end? - Rob

Thanks for all the comments, it's a good feeling to make your own tools, I understand now phil why you make so many planes - that's next on my list.

Rob - The allen key wasn't my idea - I got that from ALF, I didn't do anything special with it, just made sure it was of the hard black type and ground it slowly to avoid over-heating, I still need to grind it a bit smoother before taking it to the waterstones, I need to make a decent tool rest for the grinder though as it's hard to get a smooth grind freehand

I'm currently making a bigger brother to compliment this, it will have better shaping on the holding bar.

Good work Byron. I got a little Stanley #271 as part of a job-lot of tools from an old retired woodwork teacher about 18 months ago and at the time I thought, "I'll never use that...I have a powered router". And there I was last night needing to flatten the bottom of a shallow groove...how will I do that? :idea: The #271. Simple little tool, did the job perfectly. I'm sure using one you made yourself will be very satisfying. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Tony

I havn't gotten the blade sharp yet, still very rough from the freehand grinding, hopefully over the weekend once i've made a better tool rest for the grinder, I can even it out and take it to the water-stones, i'll be taking a few pics of it once it's sharp. I may even do some other size blades as I have a couple of larger allen keys left from the cheap set I bought.

Back