Tinnitus & Ear Defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks
Its a long shot but I am hoping for recommendations for a decent set of Ear defenders with mp3 input

After a severe middle ear infection I have been left with tinnitus in one ear. On the occasions it gets really loud I listen to white noise to get some relief.
When I put on my standard ear defenders my tinnitus sounds louder, so my plan is to get a pair of ear defenders with mp3 input so I can play white noise to partial mask tinnitus when working.

Also now that I have tinnitus I don't want to make it worse from excessive loud noise,
So I am looking for recommendations

Thanks in advance

Simon

I had a degree of hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear, thought it was just wax, went to see my GP’s practice nurse, she had a look, no it was clear, made an appointment for me with the NHS audiologist, found I had middle frequency hearing loss, had an hearing aid prescribed, it was tweaked to the exact frequency I was missing, it was also adjusted to help with the tinnitus, it more than helped, when I am using it I have very little tinnitus.

I know this does not answer your question re MP3, but may be worth a trip to your GP, after all NHS hearing aid is free including the battery supply. :wink:

Hope this may be of some help.

The above did not happen as quick as it appears in that short paragraph, it took approx twelve months in total. The hearing aid is very discreet and the bit that goes in your ear is moulded to your ear for a perfect fit.

Take care.

Chris R.

Why not use a pair of IEM's? (in ear monitors) Get an MP3 player with radio and you can either listen to your music, to the Archers, :roll: or tune between stations to get some white noise. Get IEM's with over the ear cables to keep them out of the way. I've used them a few years because of tinnitus and I even wear them all night now since developing pulsatile tinnitus earlier this year. Only problem with IEM's is you can't hear the missus shouting that dinner is ready.

Martin.

Playing white noise seems bonkers. Why not listen to the radio quietly ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I use sordin ones that have a built in fm radio. To listen to mp3s I plug my phone into a fm transmitter and tune it into a unused frequency ( 108fm works for me)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta[/quote]

ColeyS1":111goo2b said:

White noise is mostly used when the sufferer is trying to sleep. Listening to the radio is more likely to keep you awake. Unless it's the shipping forecast.

Sent from my computer using the tapping of my fingers v1.0

ChrisR":3vdjwths said:
I had a degree of hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear, thought it was just wax, went to see my GP’s practice nurse, she had a look, no it was clear, made an appointment for me with the NHS audiologist, found I had middle frequency hearing loss, had an hearing aid prescribed, it was tweaked to the exact frequency I was missing, it was also adjusted to help with the tinnitus, it more than helped, when I am using it I have very little tinnitus.

I know this does not answer your question re MP3, but may be worth a trip to your GP, after all NHS hearing aid is free including the battery supply. :wink:

Hope this may be of some help.

The above did not happen as quick as it appears in that short paragraph, it took approx twelve months in total. The hearing aid is very discreet and the bit that goes in your ear is moulded to your ear for a perfect fit.

Take care.

Chris R.

Hello Chris

Thank-you for the info :) I am waiting for an appointment for the ENT & Tinnitus clinic, hopefully they will be able to help me like they have helped you.
martinka":3vdjwths said:
Why not use a pair of IEM's? (in ear monitors) Get an MP3 player with radio and you can either listen to your music, to the Archers, :roll: or tune between stations to get some white noise. Get IEM's with over the ear cables to keep them out of the way. I've used them a few years because of tinnitus and I even wear them all night now since developing pulsatile tinnitus earlier this year. Only problem with IEM's is you can't hear the missus shouting that dinner is ready.

Martin.

Hello Martin, never heard of IEM's will take a look thank-you

ColeyS1":3vdjwths said:

I don't know why, I think its to do with masking the tinnitus. What I do know for sure is it makes me feel better & that's what matters.

I have a slight tinnitus in my right ear after a big one cylinder engine backfired with a huge fuel explosion inside an old barn. For the first week or two I wore an ear plug or ear muffs all the time as my ear ached badly at every sound.
After the tinnitus was diagnized I got religious about wearing ear muffs or ear plugs in noisy environments whenever possible to not make things worse than necsessary. I soon notised that the tinnitus was louder for a day or two after hearing heavy noise. A year or so later I read somewhere that there are cases known to science where the tinnitus level has gone down after many years of good ear protection so I decided to continue protecting my ears as good as possible.
I do not know for whether the tinnitus level has gone down or whether it is just my imagination and me getting used to it but I think that the sound level in my ear has gone down by almost half in 10 years of good ear protection since then.

For this reason I am slightly sceptical to the use of white noise.

Hello Simon, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but it's great that you're taking proactive steps to manage your tinnitus. Is there some progress now ? how did you deal?

Hello Simon, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but it's great that you're taking proactive steps to manage your tinnitus. Is there some progress now ? how did you deal?
You're unlikely going to get an answer since its been 4.5 years since they were here last.

@Maryglo
Hi, start a new thread and no doubt you’ll get more up to date advice and comment.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back