Timber Workshop security.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) A landlord friend of mine was advised by the police (off the record) if he was burgled again to get a few of his mates around to beat the hell out of the burglar and dump him in the middle of Bodmin Moor. They reckoned it was the same little scrote that was doing half the area's burglaries and that there was no way he would complain to them. Probably all well and good until you actually do it.

tinytim1458":o2xwfds6 said:
We did get the local police person's in to talk security on the workshop and house.

They said something about the workshop security and I thought I did not hear right but I did.

They said it was better to leave the workshop open and unlocked and let the thieves have what they want and come and go as they please because if any thief hurt themselves trying to break into my workshop through the Windows, doors or any other way of entry that they could take me to court and sue me for all I was worth and get me a long prison sentence as well, as that was the mentality of the thieves nowadays as they could sue you for more money than they could get for selling all our stolen items.

They could even sue if you had a dog if the dog bites them or scratches them with its claws.

They said today's thieves know more about the legal system and its loop holes than the top barristers working for victims of the robbery.

A shocking prospect especially as they had already seen one or two cases like that already.

Now that's justice for you.

Tim

Just put signs up saying beware of the dog and woodworking machinery is dangerous - you'll be OK :)
And I'd get a new local copper - that one's due for a new job IMO

We are told to keep our front porch doors locked even during the day when we are in the house - else the Police will not investigate any break-ins; and they have been around and checked.

Brian

Brian

nanscombe":cj32eho9 said:
Noggsy":cj32eho9 said:
Tim, that's utter nonsense and you either misunderstood or the person speaking was not a police officer (I am) or was having a laugh. If someone breaks into your workshop and gets hurt they would have absolutely no grounds to sue you unless you had done something totally over the top and to be honest ...

I wonder if there may be extra liability under Health & Safety legislation if you run your workshop as a business?

Perhaps the HSE don't make the distinction between a burglar and a member of the public when it comes to safety.

No,nothing to do with HSE.

bloody hell what kind of bad area do you live in! how paranoid can be one person be about their tools. You cant bolt down every bit of tooling otherwise its gonna take you a good hour just to get started in the morning! Life is to short to worry my friend, do the basic security measures and if they still get in, then move! lol.
Here in cornwall we just put a polite sign up saying please do not touch my workshop, thankyou.............

My wife keeps on hinting to move to Bodmin so that she can be nearer her family before our boys get any older.
Would be good but we have just had a valuation and we cannot afford it, our house because it is an ex council house it's not worth very much, I thought it would be ideal as we have just had an extension to make it a 4 bedroom house rather than a 2 bedroom and said that the workshop would go with the house and they said the people who viewed our house would buy the house just to have the workshop and amount of space in the garden.
The trouble is its worth £50,000 less than a 2 bedroom house in Bodmin without any space for a workshop or garage. Nowadays you cannot have a garage or big lawn unless you have about 300,000 or above, we are short by about 150,000 as we would need both a big lawn and a garage or workshop with my woodwork stuff and two young boys too fit in.
I have to say my woodworking machines worked better on a concrete floor than the wood floor they are now as they had no vibration on concrete

Tim

ColeyS1":isnhljoa said:
I'd look at getting a wireless alarm with gsm (so it'll ring you if triggered) that way you've got peace of mind knowing everything's armed and undisturbed.

Plus one.

I have found that, Yale wireless alarms are very stable, easy to install and set up. (hammer)

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back