Timber Workshop security.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been written before many times but I have been wondering how to secure my timber workshop with double opening doors on the front.

I have security bolts on the hinges rather than screws, I have a padlock on the front, I have slide bolts on the one door with a padlock on one off them but other than a battery shed alarm how can I secure it more?

I Have full electrics going to the workshop underground via an armored cable but I know I need more security but what or how to do it?

Anyone got some ideas as I have quite a good area of hands tools as well as electric tools that can be easily lifted to fit into a car boot ie they are not secured either as sometimes I like to move the odd one around for better access when doing some jobs plus they are all very light.

The work benches are too heavy to lift as they are both wall to wall on each side giving me a bit of space in the middle to move around that is just wide enough to open a black&Decker work table if I need it but have to make sure that I am the door side of it so that I can get out, I have made a few mistakes with opening that.

Has anyone got any ideas or have you already done something that will help me secure parts or my whole workshop.

The thing is I want the security to look low key even if it is not, so no one thinks I have loads of valuable stuff inside by making the outside to visibly secure so would attract everyone.

Hope you all can help with your suggestions.

Thanks
Tim

box in the padlock like a Storage container does. As Pad locks can easily be broken if are accessible, heavy gauge steel stops bolt cutters or angle grinders getting too the pad lock other than that if people really want to rob you its very difficult to keep them out.

Locks are just to keep the honest folks out.

regards Richard

images.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,637
Have you considered a VanVault/TuffBox for your attractive portable items?

Fairly pricey and not as attractive as a traditional tool chest, but it should slow the blighters down - put an old blanket/tarp over it and somebody squinting through a window wouldn't see anything worthwhile.

Kev

I would say that it is possible to become too focussed on security. You will never beat a determined thief who knows what they are after, so the best you can do is deter and move them on to the next premises. There are obviously loads of factors that come in to play here (ease of access to your garden, how obvious is it that it is a workshop, crime rates in the area, whether you have been burgled before etc, etc), but the fundamentals are to make it physically more difficult, make it noisier and make it take longer to get in. There is definitely a balance to be struck between security and what becomes effectively advertising for your valuables. A decent gate and lock to your garden make it harder to just wander in and have a look around, but that obviously depends on where the workshop is.

A dog is a great deterrent if they are inclined to bark on someone approaching your property. A workshop alarm can help as well. After that (and without seeing your property) it might be best to just get really good insurance and then try to relax about it. You may get burgled, you may not. Once you've done what you can, it's in the lap of the scroats. I've seen the best security defeated and also seen what looks like easy targets ignored for decades. It's partly down to chance, so don't get too hung up on it once the basics have been done.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old office stationary cupboards or filing cabinets (with keys so you can lock them) are a bu__er to force open and ideal for storing power tools.

Dex

Thanks those are helpful ideas.

you have given me plenty to think about.

I am without a dog for security as would not agree with the giant rabbit or hamster my wife has at the moment.

Did see a parrot on you've been framed that barked non stop like a dog but I don't think her budgie or rabbit and hamster are up to the job of barking like that.

Thanks Tim

I would also consider "Smartwater" - there's always a chance of your stuff being traced, and besides the warning signs are a deterrent on their own. I's about £90 p.a., iirc. It might get you a reduction on your insurance as well.

The beggest diterrent is to not publisis at all that you have a workshop, or allow anyone to see inside. My family have had it numorous times drilled into them that what's in the shed stays in the shed by keeping it secret.

The next line of defence IMO is to make it both as difficult as possible and as noisey as possible to get in. A steel grill on the inside of any window, (local blacksmith cost around £30) obscure glass or a blind / curtain to stop people seeing in. Replace a flimsy door with something more substantial and place two 5 lever insurance approved locks in it one about a third down and one a third up. OSB or similar the internal walls of the shed, great opportunity to add some insulation.

My shed door is now one I made to the same if not better construction that our from door.

The last thing to add is flood lights in the shed with motion sensors.

It the sheds in the back garden, make it difficult to access, 6' fences, gated access that is locked.

Sounds a lot I know, but is cheaper than trying to get insurance! These are all the recommendations I received from the locally bobby who was really good and came around to give me his opinion. His view was that make difficult and any aspiring tea leaf will look for an easier target.

Mark is right. You can drive yourself mad by going for more and more security and then they just bypass it. Many years ago our house was broken into by just smashing through the walls. Admittedly they were cement sheet but you can concentrate too much on the way you get in.
Have a word with your local police, they should be able to suggest how to move the odds more in your favour.

If you have room you could plant some nice spiky bushes, something like Berberis or Pyracanthus, around the outside of your workshop to keep people away from the walls.

If your WiFi doesn't extend far enough you could use a pair of those power line type adapters, which plug into a mains socket, to extend your home network to your workshop.

I'd look at getting a wireless alarm with gsm (so it'll ring you if triggered) that way you've got peace of mind knowing everything's armed and undisturbed.

We did get the local police person's in to talk security on the workshop and house.

They said something about the workshop security and I thought I did not hear right but I did.

They said it was better to leave the workshop open and unlocked and let the thieves have what they want and come and go as they please because if any thief hurt themselves trying to break into my workshop through the Windows, doors or any other way of entry that they could take me to court and sue me for all I was worth and get me a long prison sentence as well, as that was the mentality of the thieves nowadays as they could sue you for more money than they could get for selling all our stolen items.

They could even sue if you had a dog if the dog bites them or scratches them with its claws.

They said today's thieves know more about the legal system and its loop holes than the top barristers working for victims of the robbery.

A shocking prospect especially as they had already seen one or two cases like that already.

Now that's justice for you.

Tim

Tim, that's utter nonsense and you either misunderstood or the person speaking was not a police officer (I am) or was having a laugh. If someone breaks into your workshop and gets hurt they would have absolutely no grounds to sue you unless you had done something totally over the top and to be honest, I'm struggling think what that would be. Shotgun rigged up maybe? Locking your workshop certainly doesn't count and this is the sort of Daily Mail tripe which causes honest people to be more worried of crime than they need to be. Also, a dog biting you on private property isn't against any law I know of and there's, again, no way someone could sue you for it if they were trespassing unless you had somehow been reckless.

Noggsy":wzhnlfwd said:
... Also, a dog biting you on private property isn't against any law I know of and there's, again, no way someone could sue you for it if they were trespassing unless you had somehow been reckless.

RSPCA - How the changes to the Dangerous Dogs Act affect you and your dog

What if my dog is protecting me from an intruder?
The law provides a defence if your dog attacks an intruder in your own home so this may be a comfort to many dog owners. However, rather confusingly, if your dog attacks an intruder in your garden this will be an offence which could land you in court.

Gov.uk - Dangerous dogs law changes cover attacks on private property

Under Government plans, dog owners will no longer be immune from prosecution if their dog attacks a person in the home. This change in the law will give protection to the healthcare, postal and utility professionals who visit private properties for work.

The legislative changes being introduced today will extend the law to include all private property. It will mean that owners can be prosecuted if they fail to stop their dogs attacking someone on their own or someone else’s private property. If convicted, they could face an unlimited fine and/or up to two years in jail. However there will be no protection for trespassers such as burglars who are attacked by a householder’s dog.

:?: :?:

Noggsy":21lrdqcz said:
Tim, that's utter nonsense and you either misunderstood or the person speaking was not a police officer (I am) or was having a laugh. If someone breaks into your workshop and gets hurt they would have absolutely no grounds to sue you unless you had done something totally over the top and to be honest ...

I wonder if there may be extra liability under Health & Safety legislation if you run your workshop as a business?

Perhaps the HSE don't make the distinction between a burglar and a member of the public when it comes to safety.

I/we (me and my brother) caught a burglar round our houses and yes we gave him what most of you would like to do - a right good thrashing and kicking (not a young lad but a man of 35!). The police I found excellent saying what and how to put in a written report in regarding the incident. Personally I feel those reported ones where the owner is charged are rare. Only disappointment they expected 18months jail he ended up with 6 month suspended. But how frustrating the police must be when they know these people and cannot do what I/we did.

Latest posts

Back