Timber to practice on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubtoe

Established Member
Reaction score
My first post so hi to all :D

I'm in the process of turning my garage into a 'hobby' workshop for woodworking (its more of a general DIY'ers garage at the moment).

My first project will be to build a woodworking bench for which I've found some good posts on this forum for ideas. I've been down to the local timber merchants (Huw Grays) and priced up what material I need for the bench, but once my bench is built is it possible to source cheap/reclaimed/offcut timber (hardwood and softwood) to practice my techniques (making joints, sawing etc) without having to buy 'nice' wood from a timber merchant which I'm only going to make a mess of? :oops:

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jonny

P.S. I'm in Cheshire if any one local(ish) has more specific suggestions.

Welcome to the forum Jonny.

I guess you could practice on anything but it might be an idea to have a project in mind and practice for that, it'll give you more focus.

Builders skips can be a useful resource for practice bits but remember to ask permission first.

regards

Brian

Pro woodworkers are often only too glad to get rid of offcuts and their offcuts are often project sized pieces as far as I'm concerned.
If you explain you are a hobby woodworker I would think they would be only too happy to oblige. Offer a contribution to the tea fund and you should be able to go back another time.

Bob

Thanks for the ideas.

I think I might start off with a chopping board for my first project (once I've got the bench sorted).

Do you think it is worth posting up in the wanted/for sale page of this forum to ask if anyone local to me has offcuts or is that a bit too cheeky?!

Jonny

Hi Jonny

Once you are willing to let yourself loose on wood you have paid for (I know the feeling all too well myself...) I highly recommend Richard Potter's Timber Yard at Nantwich if that's not too far for you - http://www.fortimber.demon.co.uk/index.htm - their website is informative and updated regularly, but you want to go along and have a root through their stock (which they are quite happy for you to do).

They are a traditional hardwood supplier that offer a good range of hardwoods (as opposed to Huw Grays which looks like a building supplies place - apologies if I am mi-speaking I've never been there, just looked at their website).

The guys at Nantwich are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble - plus in addition to the main hardwoods they also stock a good selection of exotic timber for turning, box-making etc. Prices are reasonable too given that there are not many places around this neck of the woods...

Cheers

Gavin

Brian - thanks again. I've put a post up for wanted offcuts so will see what I get back.

Gavin - Nantwich is just down the road so I'll definitely check that place out once I'm ready to practice on some 'nice' wood. Yes, you are correct about Huws Gray, it is just a builders type yard (although one of the better ones round here) and so I'm just going to get the softwood I need from there to build my bench.

Local double glazing companies are a good source of free wood. Much of it is pine but there is hardwood (usually a variation of mahogany) and it's window frame lengths so fit in the boot easily.

Jonny

When I started getting into woodwork back end of last year, I found that once word got round my colleagues and friends, a lot of people had old timber / furniture they were happy to offload on me. Might be worth broadcasting your new hobby to everyone you can... I've had old beds and other timber furniture offered to me which broke up into quite nice workable pieces. If friends and workmates don't turn up trumps, you could also try freecycle for old furniture to cannibalise.

Also, although Travis Perkins sell terrible quality timber, it is very cheap. If you have a go at making a couple of projects using their timber, it will hopefully price up cheaper than a decent timber merchants, so you won't be so worried about making mistakes, and you will also quickly end up with your own offcuts bin.

drillbit":c0jn27xn said:
Also, although Travis Perkins sell terrible quality timber, it is very cheap.
Sorry to contradict, but from my experience of TP timber, it's cr@p banana wood, full of splits and sap and very expensive compared to other builders merchants. B&Q/Wickes wood is better, at least from what I've seen. I went to TP to get some featheredge for some fencing. They were over twice as expensive as another builders merchant (LBS), and they weren't even the cheapest (just nearest)

Travis Perkins also wanted £4.25 for 1 small bag of sharp sand! It's around £1.30 with B&Q Tradepoint. It's probably different if you have a trade account with TP, but I haven't so I wont go there.

PS. Redwood is far better quality than the cheaper whitewood, no matter where it's from. (B&Q call it "Professional" and Wickes call it "Master")

Mark

Back