Timber Suppliers: Where to buy and how is it priced?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree that I too get stressed when I have to buy hardwood from our local supplier. i get lost with all this CU ft thing and just want to buy some timber of a certain length and thickness? Unluckily for me it is the only one in the area which is close enough to collect from. It seems expensive too but I usually buy softwood so maybe it is down to that. I love working in hardwood but it is so much hassle to buy. :cry:

based on the replies and confirmations it looks like my new Beech workbench is going to be same as my old one, PINE.... :cry: :cry:
or buy one, with adding the price for vices and finish, and the like, it seems the prices of workbenches are not too exaggerated as i first thought.

Kane":4xc4k8pp said:
... it shouldn't be difficult never mind unpleasent to go to a timber yard and buy a half dozen bits of wood six inches across, seventy two inches long and one inch thick or any other combination it's just not acceptable.

It seems like a reasonable request to me, but then I've never tried it - yet.

So my question is, what would I need to ask for such that the Martian :evil: working in the timber yard understands what I want? Can anyone offer a simple English/Martian phrasebook containing the appropriate phrases? Does "Please can you help me" actually translate into some hideous Martian insult, guaranteed to get their backs up?

Serious question (apart from the Martian bit. Maybe.)

Latest posts

Back